• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you mumble?

jajingna

jajingna

I've been a mumbler, not speaking loud enough. Older people often don't have great hearing, so it's useful to speak up. Wearing that mask these days I have to repeat requests to cashiers. Sometimes I've been ignored due to mumbling, or was it mumbling plus babbling? Guess I speak quietly usually, or don't feel like what I say is important. Some confidence issue there.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I’m also a mumbler, specially when not prepared to speak or I need to talk with strangers at the moment.

If I’m not going to mumble I need to pep-talk with myself or step into a certain role. I only step into a role when working or uni.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I usually speak quietly, never mumble, but living with my parents my father is hard of hearing so I find myself pressed to speak loudly here more often than not.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

TBH I am a confident speaker. I think it was my job which helped me. I am good at talking in public to strangers.

jajingna

jajingna

Thing is I was a teacher for nearly 15 years, not always with big classes mind you, often small groups, but sometimes over 20 high school students. So I can do the act of appearing confident often enough, but there are other times the mumbler would be there, impersonating me. Might have been more with family than others? Maybe I speak just fine much more often than I'm believing... bit confused about this

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I wouldn't say I mumble but I am soft spoken but i have somewhat made an effort not to be. My parent are hard of hearing and I had been working in a louder environment for a few years. I find when I'm at home just kinda feeling in a mood I go back to what I consider my normal voice which is very monotone and soft. My mom says if I happen to be rambling that my voice puts her to sleep. Compliment? Lol

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I sometimes mumble but more annoyingly I change the pitch of my voice when I'm nervous having a higher pitch and softer tone than my normal voice. It annoys me but I can't help it.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I sometimes mumble but more annoyingly I change the pitch of my voice when I'm nervous having a higher pitch and softer tone than my normal voice. It annoys me but I can't help it.
I do the same thing I change the sound of my voice around strangers. I end up sounding more childlike.