• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you misuse alcohol?

Do you misuse alcohol?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
jajingna

jajingna

I drank a lot for many years, socially and alone. I've never had much of a social life as an adult without drinking.

S

Sad Wife

@Queen of Chaos its a huge hell hole. Sorry to hear that :( its definitelly not easy but I do hope you can pull out. Are there any alternatives available to you that can help with the situation? Meeting groups, therapies, etc. When we are totally down its seems hopeless but there can be the light on the end of the tunel, dont give up!

Q

Queen of Chaos

I've been in NA meetings and I've done recovery groups for the last 5 years.. I stopped going at the end of November as I was struggling. I have managed months of abstinence and then relapses, I can go weeks and blip again.

This time is the hardest picking myself back up from, I'm in a relapse in my MH it's affected my thinking that I've picked up the drinking again.

I am so determined to make today my first back sober.. I've at too much to lose not doing. Thank you for your kind words 🙏💖

P

palpiations

It sure sucks.. :/ I have been reading that Sertraline (SSRI) can do wonders on social anxiety and I am starting it now.

Have anyone of you ever tried SSRI?

I've tried Prozac before and it did lift general anxiety, it took me from a dark place. But it didn't help enough with social anxiety (I still drank alcohol on occassions). Maybe I should have had higher dosage as I was only on 20mg. Anyway, I am putting my hopes now in Sertraline + exposure therapy.
I was on sertraline. Personally, it didn't help my social anxiety at all, but it did level out my mood just like you. I know it is different for everyone. I don't want to be on them long term though so I'm off it now.

O

Onyx1234

@Sad Wife I’ve only been on Sertraline since dec 20th dr starts u at the lowest dose (50mg) n I just started 100mg/day today cuz I found 50mg it took the edge off a bit n I sleep better since I been on it (weirdly enough cuz some people it causes insomnia) but 50mg not enough anymore just feels like nothing really. But u have to get used to it first I was so sick I didn’t eat for the first few days n I lost 10lbs which is a positive for me! Funny when I was dieting n exercising last year I never reached my goal weight n now I have unintentionally lmao sorry random. Hope it works for u! :)

pinkflower17

pinkflower17

I misuse alcohol when I’m manic. The rest of the time I couldn’t care less to have a drink.

losingme1989

losingme1989

I used to, the misuse got really bad back in 2013, been off alcohol for around 4 months now and plan to stay off it, it's total poison for me.

Quietman5

Quietman5

Yes Sad Wife you are right about the increased depression and anxiety. The altered state helps me to forget about my current state which is opposite of where I should be.

morpheus01

morpheus01

formerly ht46
I'm currently drinking whiskey sours and it doesn't feel like misusing it, its mighty relaxing, I probably do misuse it though but I'm improving.

D

Dazed & Confused

I drank heavily when I was much younger. I was never an alcoholic and I had no problem stopping. I rarely drink now.

W

Wintergirl

I probably do misuse it at the moment. After my mum died, I worked like crazy. The minute I stepped out of work, the pain hit and I thought I was going to do something stupid so I would grab alcohol to numb me enough to stop me doing anything. I remember one day I walked out of work and sat on the edge of a ten foot wall, I couldn’t face going home I was just sitting there looking down the ten foot drop. So I went to the shop and bought alcohol and went home. I don’t do it as much now, as its not as often that the pain gets intense to that level, but now I’ve lost my best friend (not through death) I’m finding I’m drinking on my day off to block out the pain again. I’m leaving for work in a moment, and I’m popping to the shop before work and actually find myself considering whether to buy a bottle of something for my week off next week