Do you love your coffee?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I don't think I could survive without coffee as it is one of the few pleasures that remain in my life. I once read in a schizophrenia book that many people with schizophrenia drink an abnormally large amount of coffee. I am one of those people.

I recently had a $3 off coupon for some Organic Sumatra Estate whole bean coffee so I tried it out. At first I thought the coffee was very good, but then it started tasting a little off. Then the more I drank the cup, the worst it tasted. Then it started tasting horrid like the milk had soured in it. I went to the fridge and got the milk out, poured a little into a glass and tasted it, and it was fine. So then I tasted my coffee again, and now the coffee tasted fine again; actually it was now delicious. So I sat down and enjoyed the rest of my cup. I think I might have had my first occurrence of a taste hallucination.

claude

claude

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee! I drink at least 4 cups a day, sometimes a lot more, so quite a lot but i dunno if that is a massively abnormal amount? I have heard that schizophrenics drink a lot but i wonder if that is partly because of the antipsychotics? they make you so tired

that taste hallucination sounds very annoying boutreauj4

Kerome

Kerome

I really enjoy my coffee too, I generally only drink it in the morning, and then I never drink more than two cups unless I’m going out and drinking some at another venue.

I went through a phase when I had a hand-cranked coffee bean grinder when I would buy beans of all kinds of varieties, trying this and then that, while every morning I would make freshly ground coffee. But the grinder broke and I decided to go with ordinary ground coffee for a while, and I couldn’t taste that much difference especially as I take my morning coffee with milk and sugar.

So i’ve had my journey with coffee tasting and it was fun, and I’ve now learnt to enjoy my coffee wherever it’s from.

Poir0t

Poir0t

I ate this salty lentil soup my mom made. I was paranoid I would die from salt poisoning. Obviously i wasn't poisoned. This is probably why i have been diagnosed as paranoid sz.

burt tomato

burt tomato

I usually have one coffee a day. Yes, I am a coffee fan, but not a fanatic. I have owned filter coffee machines in the past, but that is it.

At the minute I drink Lyons Coffee bags, which give a good filter coffee taste.

I do like to get a coffee when I am out but I have not done this for a while because of the cost. Last year when I was studying with my laptop I would go to a cafe and get a latte.

Poir0t

Poir0t

burt tomato, could you recommend me a filter coffee machine. At the moment i have a cafitiere.

burt tomato

burt tomato

burt tomato, could you recommend me a filter coffee machine. At the moment i have a cafitiere.
I don't have one at the minute. I think I just bought a standard one from a supermarket. I don't know the name of the model though, apologies.

S

spiritfriend

I had a HUGE cup of cappuccino this morning. It was bellissima! I love it! I shall drink it again!

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

About a year ago I was drinking about 4 cups of coffee a day, and I sill have a coffee machine. Now I tend to drink one cup of weak Nescafe packet 'Choca Mocha' in the morning, you can buy them in the supermarkets and the mochas are very weak. One thing I do know is that coffee is bad for you, but not by much,- I mean I always feel clearer and at my best when I'm not drinking coffee or tea at all. It's bad for libido too I've discovered recently.
However, just recently I've been a bit addicted to Starbucks coffee but I'm trying to break the habit, it's hard.
If you are on medication it might be better to drink coffee because it might help to alleviate some of the side affects a bit.
Remember though it's an addictive drug and you will always feel better without it, whatever they say, unless you are really addicted to it. I don't think drinking coffee is a big problem though.
Just try stopping coffee, and you will know how addictive it is, and you will have some very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, such as depression and headaches for about a week :cry::panic:

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I have a Dolce Gusto pod machine, and I wouldn't want anything else, even a filter coffee machine, because the variety of the capsules are very good. Some of the pods are milk pods for milky drinks, including decaffeinated ones. The varieties are delicious and there is a scrummy hot chocolate drink you can get too.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Keurig coffee makers that take the pods have become very popular here in the U.S. but since they only make one cup at a time and the boxes of pods are much more expensive than a regular can of coffee, I don't think I could afford to drink coffee that way due to the large amounts of coffee I drink. I drink 1 or 2 pots of coffee a day. My drip coffeemaker pot holds 12 6 oz cups (according to the scale painted on the side of the pot), in which I can fill my big 16 oz mug 4.5 times. I don't know why all the traditional coffee making machines over here are all measured in 6 oz cups, because NOBODY drinks just 6 oz of coffee any more. Most coffee mugs are 10 to 16 oz. So I've always been confused by when somebody might say they drink 2 cups of coffee. Is it two 6 oz cups as per the scale on most coffee pots? Or is it two mugs of coffee which could be twice as much?

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I don't blame people for taking coffee when they are on medication, I would do it myself. I think Starbucks coffee is far too strong though, 225mg caffeine in a grande Americano, it makes me feel bad when I have drunk that. I always ask for 2 shots of coffee instead of three when I go in there now.
A normal cup of instant coffee contains about 95mg. That's a big difference. :scratcheshead:

Poir0t

Poir0t

I don't smoke or drink any more. My only vice is a strong cup of black coffee every day.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Forum Guide
I just paid $29 for a 1//2 pound of Kona which I am going to mix with Peets Italian Roast, which costs $15 per pound. Coffee is the one thing in my life I spoil myself with.

My doctor recently told me to drink only decaf because of high blood pressure. I tried it for a few weeks and it tasted terrible. My feeling was, if I couldn't enjoy a good cup of caffeinated coffee, what reason did I have to live? My blood pressure stayed the same when I switched back. The medication I am taking finally started to work and my blood pressure is now at a safe level.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Forum Guide
Keurig coffee makers that take the pods have become very popular here in the U.S. but since they only make one cup at a time and the boxes of pods are much more expensive than a regular can of coffee, I don't think I could afford to drink coffee that way due to the large amounts of coffee I drink. I drink 1 or 2 pots of coffee a day. My drip coffeemaker pot holds 12 6 oz cups (according to the scale painted on the side of the pot), in which I can fill my big 16 oz mug 4.5 times. I don't know why all the traditional coffee making machines over here are all measured in 6 oz cups, because NOBODY drinks just 6 oz of coffee any more. Most coffee mugs are 10 to 16 oz. So I've always been confused by when somebody might say they drink 2 cups of coffee. Is it two 6 oz cups as per the scale on most coffee pots? Or is it two mugs of coffee which could be twice as much?
Different countries have different measurements and different ideas as to what is one serving. When I was in Germany, back in the early 70's, a serving of coffee was about 4 oz. Very small when compared to today. When I first went to England in '73, London, the cup of tea I bought was fairly large, about 8+ ounces. Exeter in 1994, small cups of coffee. Exeter in 2004, large cups of coffee at the Boston Tea Party, which wasn't there when I was there in '94. Interesting to note, when the Boston Tea Party opened, it put a lot of small shops out of business, including a doughnut shop I loved. They, the Boston Tea Party, served a better cup of coffee, had fresh, thick sliced bread, which you could have toasted with a fried egg on top. A good start for the day and fairly cheap.

Last edited:
DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

I just paid $29 for a 1//2 pound of Kona which I am going to mix with Peets Italian Roast, which costs $15 per pound. Coffee is the one thing in my life I spoil myself with.

My doctor recently told me to drink only decaf because of high blood pressure. I tried it for a few weeks and it tasted terrible. My feeling was, if I couldn't enjoy a good cup of caffeinated coffee, what reason did I have to live? My blood pressure stayed the same when I switched back. The medication I am taking finally started to work and my blood pressure is now at a safe level.
I was wondering, are you on any medication like tranquilizers, and if so do you think strong coffee helps with the side effects?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Schizophrenia Forum 3