• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you know someone living with dementia from the age 30

B

Blackrose09

I don't but I think is possible to get dementia in your 30s

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I remember a child had it, on the news. I don't really know what it is in detail, but you can get schizophrenia from 9 years old my psychiatrist said once, so anything is possible.

P

Pink1234

Hello Blackrose09.

I get the feeling that you are asking this question on behalf of yourself as I know from a previous thread that you are convinced that you have dementia. In that previous thread I provided a link to a Factsheet that detailed the diagnosis process and I wonder if you read that.

The short answer to your question is 'yes'. Indeed I have undertaken training courses relating to dementia and I recall reading that the earliest documented age at diagnosis is 14.

Having said all that, it has to be stated that you will not get a diagnosis by asking questions on an internet forum. That Factsheet I linked to you is the way to go. The diagnosis process is long and can take up to 2 years as so many alternative causes of the symptoms that are manifesting need to be ruled out before such a life changing diagnosis as dementia is considered.

Please accept the fact that your symptoms are more likely to arise from a cause other than dementia because that is the truth. Only some 5% of dementia cases in the UK relate to people under age 65 and the number of people diagnosed in their 30's and under must be so small as to be hard to find. The biggest risk factor for dementia is old age. I doubt that any doctor anywhere in the world would look at a patient in their 30's and think 'dementia', no matter how the symptoms presented themselves. That said, you are obviously concerned so should start the process with your GP. If you feel that you aren't getting the service you are due from a GP try another. If you get more than one medic telling you the same thing it may be time to listen to the medics. Try not to worry too much(I know that's easily said) and start the process with the medics.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I completely agree with the above post

B

Blackrose09

Hello Blackrose09.

I get the feeling that you are asking this question on behalf of yourself as I know from a previous thread that you are convinced that you have dementia. In that previous thread I provided a link to a Factsheet that detailed the diagnosis process and I wonder if you read that.

The short answer to your question is 'yes'. Indeed I have undertaken training courses relating to dementia and I recall reading that the earliest documented age at diagnosis is 14.

Having said all that, it has to be stated that you will not get a diagnosis by asking questions on an internet forum. That Factsheet I linked to you is the way to go. The diagnosis process is long and can take up to 2 years as so many alternative causes of the symptoms that are manifesting need to be ruled out before such a life changing diagnosis as dementia is considered.

Please accept the fact that your symptoms are more likely to arise from a cause other than dementia because that is the truth. Only some 5% of dementia cases in the UK relate to people under age 65 and the number of people diagnosed in their 30's and under must be so small as to be hard to find. The biggest risk factor for dementia is old age. I doubt that any doctor anywhere in the world would look at a patient in their 30's and think 'dementia', no matter how the symptoms presented themselves. That said, you are obviously concerned so should start the process with your GP. If you feel that you aren't getting the service you are due from a GP try another. If you get more than one medic telling you the same thing it may be time to listen to the medics. Try not to worry too much(I know that's easily said) and start the process with the medics.
Thank you so much for answering again. And sorry my attention and concentration were very bad back than to focus on what you send. So are now. But I read everything. Maybe I will come later for questions (and sorry if I do that) and maybe I won't.
It is a great website, thank you. I am reading now the stories from patients.

I think I already asked to much from my gp with other medical problems especially psychiatric ones and afraid he is going to loose patince with me and ignore me or threat me bad. And afraid to change him if this happens because I had enough of abusive and selfish doctors. At least he s ok with the fact that I need prescriptions every month... Anyways I will try and ask for cognitive tests and explain how bad my cognition becomed.

My symptoms, as you said, can have another cause... I'm trying to accept that now and sometimes I do belive that sleep deprivation, long repeated traumas, isolation, poverty and mental ilnessed are the causes....now I belive there s no turning back and I must have dementia.
Wonder what if it is schizophrenia and this is the delusion I am not aware of.

What if I don't want to go throgh that long painful process of 2 years (I live in italy but I guess it must be somehow similar to England), I don't think I have nerve for that, especially for people. The doctors are going to mistreat or abuse me as always and I have not done nothing wrong to them, is because I'm vulnerable and not the same race etc. Yes italy sucks, at least the place I'm living in. I never got help in 3 years, they f up my brain. From who am I especting and serching help..? I want to die in peace.
I'm sorry for this message. I needed to tell the truth. And how my personality changes I'm sorry I look like a bad person but I'm not.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

Unfortunately yes, one of my brother's have dementia and the doctors don't know if its diabetic dementia or not because my maternal grandmother also had dementia in her late thirties. My brother has diabetes type 1 and has dementia he is in his mid 30s but it began in his early 30s. His mind is going and it's sad to see.
They checked his brain for cancer, tumors or lesions. He might have it due to diabetes but his diabetes is very controlled so the doctor thinks its because of genetics. My uncles both have dementia too and my mothers half-sister as well.

B

Blackrose09

It must be very painful to have a brother who suffers from this at such a young age :hug:

Yes a doctor told me diabet is a risk factor at a young age. He mentioned another risk factors as dyslipidemia, heart failure and hypertension.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

It must be very painful to have a brother who suffers from this at such a young age :hug:

Yes a doctor told me diabet is a risk factor at a young age. He mentioned another risk factors as dyslipidemia, heart failure and hypertension.
Yeah my brother has heart disease (hypertension) as well unfortunately. They actually suspect it might be play into his dementia, especially since it went undetected for awhile because they were too focused on the diabetes. But they aren't sure because heart disease runs on my father side....and dementia runs on my mother's.

It is sad to see him like that especially since he has a four year old, a seven year old and a twelve year old to care for. He gets a lot of support from us though, which is good. That's why we won't move and why they wont, not until we can find an area we can all move to.

P

Pink1234

I don't think you are a bad person Blackrose09 and I'm glad that you are getting some attention from your GP. I wouldn't give up on the GP as a good GP can be a great help.

B

Blackrose09

I'm so scared I'm shaking because my memory is very bad. For example, I buyed some things today and after a few hours I wonder where did I buy one of those things and when. It was hard to remember. But I kept forgetting I buyed other things besides that thing...
If I was anxious I would blame on anxiety, but I was fine today exept for some depersonalization and allergy problems which makes my mind confused, both of them.
I slept very bad last week and had really bad depression followed by anxiety and multiple panick atacks, especially yesterday. So I can blame on all these things my memory loss? I don't think so. Still procrastinating to tell my doctor about this.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Blackrose, you sound like you have been dissociating. Your allergy problems and stress will explain why it could have happened. It is so scary to forget things. I think it may be helpful to tell your doctor.

B

Blackrose09

Well I told him in the past and he gave me supliments for memory. I have to explain more detailed.

Again now I don't have depression or anxiety or other mh problems now but I'm doing things mechanically feels like I don't know what I'm doing. Also I think don't have dissociation.
Strange this is i used to feel like this in the past and all my mental functions slowed down (not only memory problems) when an abusive person was next to me. . Now i feel like that all the time.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I remember you saying you are in contact with an abusive person. Maybe they are the reason you are reacting this way.

B

Blackrose09

I remember you saying you are in contact with an abusive person. Maybe they are the reason you are reacting this way.
Can be this too and many others. I see this person less often and only for several minutes and I don't think is affecting me anymore, or not so much it did in the past.