• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you have to attend PIP tribunal?

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I still haven’t heard back from the face to face assessment for PIP I attended nearly 4 weeks ago. However, I have a feeling I have failed with zero points because the assessor I got was the same assessor I got last year when I first claimed for PIP that failed me with zero points.

I fear it’s going to be another painful process of taking it to tribunal which I don’t want to happen considering the awful experience I had the last time being at a tribunal when they spoke to me as if I was at an interrogation and I was so anxious and stressed out that I could barely explain my difficulties to them and at the end they refused to award me PIP because the judge decided to base his decision on irrelevant medical records and unfairly I lost the appeal.

I have read certain posts on here that explain that you don’t have to attend a tribunal and was wondering if this is possible as it would be better for me considering I suffer anxiety and panic disorder and I would feel more comfortable if I didn’t have to attend. Please advise.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im not entirely sure so don't quote me on this but I am sure I have heard people on here say they didn't have to attend but I think some people said it sometimes works out better in your favour if you do go and take some body to represent you xx

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Thanks for the reply.

I attended the PIP tribunal last time and had a welfare rights officer with me but I was such a nervous wreck there that I could barely think and speak when mentioning to the panel about the difficulties I have with my mental health so I’d rather not attend another tribunal because it was a horrible experience and it was like an interrogation because the judge and panel were tearing into me making my anxiety worse. After all that they decided to refuse to reward me PIP by basing their decision on irrelevant medical info.

C

Clipper

Hi Artmuzz
You do not have to attend a tribunal hearing. You can opt to have just an "on paper" submission. However, I have heard that attending the hearing can be more successful.
What is really important is to have really strong evidence, reports etc.
Hope this helps