• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you have any unusual phobias?

Boudicca

Boudicca

I have a phobia of skeletons and Centipedes. I used to have a phobia of Scorpions and Spiders. So I bought Tarantulas and Scorpions to conquer my fear. I now own 10 Tarantulas and 2 Scorpions. But Centipedes and Skeletons and also Nemotode parasitic worms scare the hell out of me. I’ve also got a phobia of certain textures of clothes, certain materials. If I’m clothes shopping I have to feel the texture of clothes to make sure I can buy them. If I feel the wrong kind of texture, I feel light headed and nauseous. It’s weird I know!

Boudicca

Boudicca

I also had a fear of heights and lifts/ elevators... I hate enclosed spaces. I did try to conquer my fear of heights by abseiling 100 feet down a cliff. I did it, but I’m still scared of heights. Well no one can say I didn’t try. :unsure:

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

I've very severe phobia of politics. Moreover I'm afraid of opened windows and bugs.

K

khuang

So is anyone else terrified by taxidermy? I just never liked looking at stuffed dead animals or their decapitated heads. The most disturbing instance of my aversion to the practice was with the crazy lady. It was about 1999 and she had told me she had bought a special surprise for me and it was at her house. Of course I was excited because it was a gift and I thought it was a Furby because I wanted one so badly. Well I get to her house and she had this head of some animal that I forgot the species name but it was similar to a doe in appearance. I didn’t like it but I said nothing just to be polite because she said it was expensive to get. The eyes were secretly freaking me out. The woman then asked me to pet it which I did just to humor her but I was even more disturbed. She actually thought that I liked such a terrifying gift. I was so glad when she gave it to her ex boyfriend to keep at his house and put up on his wall because that meant I wouldn’t have to look at it ever again unless I was over at his house. I was also glad that he kept it after they broke up. I don’t know why she would think I’d ever enjoy such a messed up gift. I don’t think too many 13 year olds would enjoy the decapitated head of some random animal. This is probably how my phobia of taxidermy intensified as I never liked it to begin with but I could be in the same room up till then.

jajingna

jajingna

I had sort of a phone phobia before, not quite the phone itself but if another person or people were in earshot I didn't like using the phone, like the person/people in the room would be judging me on the phone or something. That mattered to me more than talking on the phone itself. I still don't like phones much though. Prefer to use them when no one else is around.

I just dislike feeling like someone is watching my behavior sometimes, which was bad as a teacher when I lived over in Asia, especially when other teachers/evaluators would sit in to observe how I taught and managed the classroom. Too self-conscious and lacking confidence in these things. But almost anyone would be nervous in that situation, it's almost like a job interview, and sometimes it is, like if you gotta do a demo lesson. Yuck.

vriskaserket

vriskaserket

For me my most unusual phobias are professional female bodybuilders, taxidermy animals, scorpions, and living in an apartment that is “too clean.” What are some unusual phobias you have or know about?
snails. and maggots i guess. once when i was younger there was a snail in my room (there was a hole in my wall) and i didnt go in my room for a few days and when i had to i came in quickly and ran out. it took a bit longer to where the snail was. i remember seeing the snail, yelling at my sister to get it out, and then i locked myself in my bathroom and started crying a little and hyperventilating. sorry to rant its probably unwanted but yeah

vriskaserket

vriskaserket

For me my most unusual phobias are professional female bodybuilders, taxidermy animals, scorpions, and living in an apartment that is “too clean.” What are some unusual phobias you have or know about?
oh also worms in general. specifically tiny worms

vriskaserket

vriskaserket

I’m absolutely terrified of worms even typing the word makes me cringe. The kids laugh there head of at me when I’m gardening and see one cos I end up running in the house
me too except its mostly small worms. i still hate all worms and things that resemble worms though

vriskaserket

vriskaserket

I am scared of dolls sounds bizzare I remember as a child having nightmares about them as far back as I remember.
If someone gave me a doll I wouldn't be able to touch it they give me the creeps
i used to have that but i kinda grew out of it. i remember having so many nightmares and not being able to sleep because of them. i remember hitting and hitting my american doll because it scared me haha

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Phobia Forum 3