• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you have any unusual phobias?

K

KJade

Hello I'm new here but my partner has a phobia of finishing things in containers/packaging. He doesn't finish drinks in bottles etc he wont use the last of sugar in the bag, bread, etc I was wondering if anyone else has this and whether there's a name for it. Would like to understand where it stems from.

A

aisha23

not sure how " unusual" this is, but fear of my own body

looking at it, touching it, talking about it...

and fear of bodies in general

like talking about how they work

GeordieTyne

GeordieTyne

I am majorly phobic about collarbones. Ok in the winter but a hermit in the summer.

Okie Cavies

Okie Cavies

I think mine might be called 'anthropophobia/anthrophobia'. Webster's Medical defines it as a 'pathological fear of people or human companionship'. I have a crippling, long, and deeply held phobia of interacting with people face to face. It has taken me most of my life to realize this is what it is, if that doesn't sound too crazy. I work full time, I am the primary wage earner, as my DH is too sick to work. So I am forced to 'lean in' to my phobia. By that, I mean that I am forced to be in situations where interacting with people is half my job. I do not even go grocery shopping when I am off work. I don't go to church, even though I miss the sermons - I just cannot even think about having to voluntarily interact with people face to face. I do not socialize outside of work, and I find it diffcult to 'shoot the breeze' with people at work. I would love to work on overcoming this, and I am currently trying to psych myself up for a new therapist visit for this as well as depers/dereal issues. I've gotten attached to - and lost - several good therapists. It's hard to work myself up to trusting another one.
Sorry for the novel. :redface:

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Being in a kitchen when a hot oven door is opened. Freaks me out entirely. I have an oven but only the top is used. Other things get cooked in a slow cooker or the microwave.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Oo, that's a toughy. Lots of phobias, I can definitely relate to anxiety and panic attacks. I do have panic disorder. So here are mine; being burried alive (had nightmaresof this), scratched cardboared (more of a pet peeve/discomfort but gives me chills and cringe), white house spiders, house centipedes (ones that look like caterpillars) o geez...ewwwww, the typical dying, going to Hell, being reborn here!, the idea of hovering above the earth in space, being disected, being dead and watching people mess with my dead body, and being eaten alive by cannibals or wild animals (also nightmares). You have legitimate phobias, everyone has different ones some silly to others but no joke to you and who cares what they think. If anyone gives you crap ask them what they are afraid of. Then tell them their opinion has no value and say they probably don't care what you say about their fear either, because it's not gonna change the fear. Quirky fears sure, but we were not all meant to be affraid of the same thing or think the same way. I'm not fond of stuffed dead animals either, its gross and unnecessary. If you ever saw Ace Ventura: Nature calls (hilarious)...this guy shows him a show room of them and he freaks then says "Wow! What a lovely room of death" 🤣 Ive been in a house as a kid full of deer and bear skins and all sorts of stuffed creatures. It was sick, smelled funny, dusty, and stray hairs flying around. 🤢

K

KingLouie

I wish I can enjoy scenery that requires being up high, but my fear is falling not the height itself. I can be sceptical when it comes to climbing small ladders, and I'm taking my time with removing our Christmas lights outside 😅.

F

Fargo

When descending into unwellness, I become unable to speak, write or even read. I was a straight A English student, but these phobias ruined every job I had, until at 51 yo I gave myself permission to stop fighting to overcome it, and stopped working.

O

oluwatuyi

yes, i encounter the fear of failing...since when i have been a child, i have been scared of failing....any advice

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I have 2 but I don’t think they are unusual. I am afraid of heights and spiders.
Those are my main fears as well. And dogs. I like dogs and them being so affectionate, but I am scared because some are so unpredictable. Going back to heights, when I tried to watch the film The Walk, the ending scenes were really scary. The Walk is based on Phillippe Petit, a guy who walked between the World Trade Center towers back in 1974 using only a wire. There's an apparently great documentary on it called Man on Wire.

I also don't like rats.

Keesha

Keesha

I don’t really have any real fears except that I’m afraid of myself at times and it’s scary.
Oh! Rats! Yes. They are ultra creepy !!!! Eeekkk! 😳😨

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I don’t really have any real fears except that I’m afraid of myself at times and it’s scary.
Oh! Rats! Yes. They are ultra creepy !!!! Eeekkk! 😳😨
Being afraid of yourself does sound scary. You shouldn't be though x

I don't like rats at all, other than Master Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Phobia Forum 3