Do you have a "manic uniform?"

D

damnmouse

I've recently been diagnosed, and I found the whole process really stressful and feel kind of defensive to be honest, but I'm trying to look at it all objectively. One thing I do notice about myself that's been described as a bipolar trait is that the way I dress changes with my mood.

At certain times in my life, for example, I wear bright colors, suit jackets over paisley shirts, ties, vintage fashion. Largely I found the fabrics appealing but felt also that they signaled social availability, and when I have tons of energy I want to interact with other people. Sometimes I notice people with bipolar wearing costume jewelry, like mardi gras beads on ordinary occasions.

Does the way you dress change with your mood?

megirl

megirl

Probably for me when I'm feeling really good like that hypomania I do tend to dress a bit brighter,flashier I also, the way I hold my head up must be the smile i tend to have people making eye contact and then they might start chatting away. Or I'll just start up a conversation with some random person who is engaging
For me I notice things that I dont normally,things look brighter they have more color,everything around me seems to catch my eye,
And of course I have bucketloads of energy
The world seems like a better place

Chopsy

Chopsy

RE: Does the way you dress change with your mood?

yes, when i am 'high' [as opposed to being 'shutdown'] i am able to be aware of what 'feels good' to wear, i am able to 'pick & choose' from the clothes i already own what to put on / get dressed in, in that particular moment.

When i am in a 'shutdown' mode, i generally wear the same clothes daily, [with a change of underwear] until they are too dirty/ smelly to continue wearing.

BLACKER

BLACKER

I agree that our mood can affect how we wear.

When I'm in high mood i tend to buy bright colour clothes. But now im in low mood, I feel like i wanna throw all of the clothes i brought during that time.. They are too catchy, and i dun want to wear them now..

megirl

megirl

Yeh when my moods low,I'm not getting any pleasure out of making an effort. Pretty much wear my comfy old clothes that I go walking in. Live in them

BLACKER

BLACKER

Yeh when my moods low,I'm not getting any pleasure out of making an effort. Pretty much wear my comfy old clothes that I go walking in. Live in them
Yaaaa.... when my moods low, I like to wear grey, black and white clothes... I still remember because I like shopping during that high period, my friends stopped me from spending too much. Now my friends encourage me to buy more clothes for myself and dont mean to myself...

I was like okay, it's a big difference for my friend.

megirl

megirl

Likewise when my moods elevated absolutely love clothes shopping find it exciting get quite impulsive its like..."I like that,then I like that too.." Then one dress/garment or whatever ends up being 2or3. I can't decide on one thing so I just give in and get what I like well if I can afford it
Bit broke atm need a job

A couple of friends are like that question if I really need and have the money for it.

BLACKER

BLACKER

ya... Im finding a job now... Too broke...

during that moment we just dont want to decide, we just "high" and do whatever things that makes us happy :dance:

megirl

megirl

We do indeed
When my relationship fell apart
I found somewhere to live had some extra money in the bank awesome
Bought myself some lovely things for the house,treated myself to stuff my husband wouldn't let me have(even though he had the cash!!)
It was great,new curtains(the old ones were dirty,mouldey,yuck)
A couple nice pictures, then some plants for the garden, it was awesome, so now I know I should of some money away so I wouldn't touch it.
So now Im a bit broke and in need of a job.
Spending the money was so much fun it was great but I just get so impulsive,
But that's just me could I go back and change it,probably not

M

myjourney2

When I'm depressed I just sit around in bed most of the day wearing whatever I slept in. Haven't moved at all today expect to go to the bathroom. Luckily I'm somewhat working from bed, but i'm getting distracted as well, as my posts here show.

Chopsy

Chopsy

ya... Im finding a job now... Too broke...

during that moment we just dont want to decide, we just "high" and do whatever things that makes us happy :dance:
Yes, there is also a HUGE 'need' / desire that 'drives' me at these 'manic shopping' times.

I first experienced 'manic-shopping' after the birth of my son. [1987]

2 weeks after his birth, my mum & i went shopping at Mothercare, i got 'truck loads' of toys [that were on sale] & lots of goods, i had picked up so much i could barely carry it all to the till to be paid for.

I can remember my mum being totally embarrassed at the time, by my OTT behaviour, but despite that, she was very supportive & held 'space' for me during that shopping trip.

I like black coloured clothes, always have.

'Manic shopping' i often buy white or bright colours, feeling the benefit of what each colour might bring / help me with.

i 'miss' shopping, shopping for myself, others & on special occasions used to be 'my Life' ..... it was Wonderful, then my life 'flipped' into a level of constant struggle, no life & no ability to 'thrive'.

megirl

megirl

Likewise when my moods elevated absolutely love clothes shopping find it exciting get quite impulsive its like..."I like that,then I like that too.." Then one dress/garment or whatever ends up being 2or3. I can't decide on one thing so I just give in and get what I like well if I can afford it
Bit broke atm need a job

A couple of friends are like that question if I really need and have the money for it.

BLACKER

BLACKER

We do indeed
When my relationship fell apart
I found somewhere to live had some extra money in the bank awesome
Bought myself some lovely things for the house,treated myself to stuff my husband wouldn't let me have(even though he had the cash!!)
It was great,new curtains(the old ones were dirty,mouldey,yuck)
A couple nice pictures, then some plants for the garden, it was awesome, so now I know I should of some money away so I wouldn't touch it.
So now Im a bit broke and in need of a job.
Spending the money was so much fun it was great but I just get so impulsive,
But that's just me could I go back and change it,probably not
Ya I know... We like to buy a lot of things during that state.
What kind of job do you like?

My previous job was too stress, it triggered my mania state, I brought myself a ticket to the japan. Because Im from malaysia, all of us treat going to japan is a rich-man action, because of the low currency for money...

But I duno why, I just want to distress, I eagerly want to rest, and want to go somewhere else at that moment..

But now Im regret.......... Need job too

BLACKER

BLACKER

Yes, there is also a HUGE 'need' / desire that 'drives' me at these 'manic shopping' times.

I first experienced 'manic-shopping' after the birth of my son. [1987]

2 weeks after his birth, my mum & i went shopping at Mothercare, i got 'truck loads' of toys [that were on sale] & lots of goods, i had picked up so much i could barely carry it all to the till to be paid for.

I can remember my mum being totally embarrassed at the time, by my OTT behaviour, but despite that, she was very supportive & held 'space' for me during that shopping trip.

I like black coloured clothes, always have.

'Manic shopping' i often buy white or bright colours, feeling the benefit of what each colour might bring / help me with.

i 'miss' shopping, shopping for myself, others & on special occasions used to be 'my Life' ..... it was Wonderful, then my life 'flipped' into a level of constant struggle, no life & no ability to 'thrive'.
yaaaa.... Shopping is great.......
Have you find you support system during this state? I am having this state too.. I have no mood for shopping..

I am glad to hear that your mom is very supportive.. But I haven told my mom I have this period, as I am an ASIAN. ASIAN culture are not supportive.. For my own opinion

megirl

megirl

I had suffered from depression most of my life, Ive had bipolar but mostly depressive side of the illness. I was about 31 when once again ended up where my depression and anxiety was seriously affecting my life I was getting pretty low and not wanting to accept that my anxiety was spiralling out of control, struggling away then 6 months later my dad (who meant the world to me) died suddenly then I started not sleeping and that triggered my hypomanic state
I was also a registered nurse which I was somehow managing but really my whole world was falling apart
I was really really crook racing thoughts,no real sleep,shopping I was seemingly ok on the outside as long as my crazy busy,but thank god that's behind me now, however I did enjoy parts of it
And amongst all that work really wasn't helping so sadly I left nursing same I need to get a job bit broke at the mo

BLACKER

BLACKER

I had suffered from depression most of my life, Ive had bipolar but mostly depressive side of the illness. I was about 31 when once again ended up where my depression and anxiety was seriously affecting my life I was getting pretty low and not wanting to accept that my anxiety was spiralling out of control, struggling away then 6 months later my dad (who meant the world to me) died suddenly then I started not sleeping and that triggered my hypomanic state
I was also a registered nurse which I was somehow managing but really my whole world was falling apart
I was really really crook racing thoughts,no real sleep,shopping I was seemingly ok on the outside as long as my crazy busy,but thank god that's behind me now, however I did enjoy parts of it
And amongst all that work really wasn't helping so sadly I left nursing same I need to get a job bit broke at the mo
I am so sorry to hear this from you.. so how is your sleeping quality now??

Beside nursing, what kind of things do you like? Freelance job?

megirl

megirl

This was a few years back with my sleeping, Im really good these days, medicated I can't sleep without meds,
I gave nursing up roughly 6 years back, to stressful,
Health is more important
I did some voluntary work working with the elderly for about a year, then a cleaning job, sadly we got a new boss she just made my life difficult so I left, I was going through a marriage break up this time last year. Doing really well new start for 2019
Started looking for some work, not too sure what I want to do will see what comes my way

BLACKER

BLACKER

This was a few years back with my sleeping, Im really good these days, medicated I can't sleep without meds,
I gave nursing up roughly 6 years back, to stressful,
Health is more important
I did some voluntary work working with the elderly for about a year, then a cleaning job, sadly we got a new boss she just made my life difficult so I left, I was going through a marriage break up this time last year. Doing really well new start for 2019
Started looking for some work, not too sure what I want to do will see what comes my way
Seems like you really care about your mental health.. You are very good to yourself. Ya no worry just find whatever job you feel that it is suitable for you... Hope that I can hear the good news soon from you..

Believe in you, because you spend time on voluntary work, you are doing something meaningful, I think you next job will be meaningful too..:D

Chopsy

Chopsy

yaaaa.... Shopping is great.......
Have you find you support system during this state? I am having this state too.. I have no mood for shopping..

I am glad to hear that your mom is very supportive.. But I haven told my mom I have this period, as I am an ASIAN. ASIAN culture are not supportive.. For my own opinion
Although from the beginning i HAD my immediate family living with me, i was IGNORED by them, they treated me & my situation as 'non- of their bussiness'....... maybe because they knew i worked with a Healing practitioner who in their opinion was RESPONSIBLE for turning me MAD in the first place.

When i began to affect their own reality too much, they would just call in the services & 'kick me out of my OWN HOME, whilst they lavished comfortably within it.

This mad / crazy/ abhorrent situation went on for 11 yrs. until i eventually got to the 'position' / the point of FINALLY 'kicking my EX. out first!!!!'

That was Feb. 2017.

i later had run-in with another family member on Sept. 2017, this time my 'SON' who had been mostly absent from the earlier conflicts, having left the home to join the army,

They 'threw' me in the 'LOONEY BIN' .....ONCE AGAIN..... i was....'LIVID !!'

2018 was an uneventful year - No MADNESS bad enough to warrant outside 'HELP' / or restraint !

My soul-mate 'mother' died in Oct. 2001, i was 31yrs old....... my world 'changed'..... i lost the one person [human] who was there FOR ME !

i was 'alone' for the first time in 'this' human lifetime........ except for my 'dog' companions....

6 yrs later after my mothers passing.... i was hospitalized ..... diagnosis was a HYPOMANIC state due to a 'grief reaction'...... 'thus my madness FUN began.....in earnest

Chopsy

Chopsy

I've recently been diagnosed, and I found the whole process really stressful and feel kind of defensive to be honest, but I'm trying to look at it all objectively. One thing I do notice about myself that's been described as a bipolar trait is that the way I dress changes with my mood.

At certain times in my life, for example, I wear bright colors, suit jackets over paisley shirts, ties, vintage fashion. Largely I found the fabrics appealing but felt also that they signaled social availability, and when I have tons of energy I want to interact with other people. Sometimes I notice people with bipolar wearing costume jewelry, like mardi gras beads on ordinary occasions.

Does the way you dress change with your mood?
When 'high':

i wear jewellery, many, many bracelets, i wear rings, i wear ear-rings, i wear bangles & bracelets on my ankles, even toe rings at times, i wear necklaces, dangle ones & also choker at times...

i also wear pretty things in my hair

i always 'know' when to apply / wear / use the jewellery & also when to remove them [as & when they have done their job 'subtle-energetically'- wise'].