• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you have a lot of friends?

D

DCGirl

I don't have that many friends. Bums me out sometimes but other times don't think it's worth the hassle. What do you guys think? . . . I actually work with the SAMHSA and they just launched the What A Difference A Friend Makes program. Really got me thinking. Did you know that the support of a good friend can increase the chances of recovering from mental health issues? Here's a link to the site - www.whatadifference.org/mentalhealth Take a look and let me know what you think.

missymoo

missymoo

Its definitely a hassle. trying to find true friends is nearly impossible for me.....then ones that can understand me and my issues.....even harder to find. I am lucky enough to have one friend, but even that has issues, cause we are a million miles apart and both need each other all the time in my opinion, so it really sucks. I know she is a true friend and I believe she understands me, and I her, so thats all good. My roomie/flatmate has a best friend that she talks to EVERYDAY on the phone (even if its about nothing but whining and moaning and supporting each other and milking each other for attention) and they meet once a month in person to hang out (as they live far apart), I am SO jealous that she gets to do all that with her best friend ;( I wish for that all someday, as my only addiction is my best friend and I feel so sad that I dont get more of her than I do.
other than that, I just have friends that arent really friends, cause I dont really hang out with any of them (I have some) and I dont tell them most of my daily issues or any of my secrets. I tell everything to my best friend though - well maybe not everything but most everything, HAHAHA.

missymoo

missymoo

oh, and YES I believe that its MOST important to have at least one true friend to go through your mental illness with. in fact, its vital. even more vital is just someone to love you and you them. someone to hug and hold you - especially when you are all messed up inside and noone else wants to be around you. someone that understands.....thats really important I think.

BORTU

BORTU

Hi DCGirl,

It is not the number of friends you have but the quality of their friendship. We all need friends, but false friends can give us grief. At least on this site you can be sure that we are genuine friends. We have no axe to grind. We only exist to help, we cannot tell tales behind your back as we do not know your name.

shaun3210

shaun3210

Yes I think good friends can make a big difference, unfortunately my condition means I cannot make friends easily, but can see what strength and support it can offer to others. :)

I have really struggled all my life to make friends, it’s only recently that I have been able to see that I have problems in that area with any clarity, so I have no answers, but I do think it’s a area that needs further investigation for myself and I guess others into what stops us from making good friends, while it seems to come really easily to others.