• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you get what you deserve?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Do we deserve to suffer from MH problems because of karma or past sins?

My younger self would laugh at the notion and call it crazy.

It is crazy, right? :confused:

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel like maybe its what I deserve sometimes, I don't know tbh maybe shit just happens

B

bonobo

I often feel this way....... [Like it's all my fault]

:cry:

Truth is: Yeah, I've made mistakes. But who hasn't? Better to start completely from scratch at 19 than 70

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think there is an element of truth in it, although personally i would prefer to call it opportunity as opposed to suffering. :)

M

mind_the_cones

I've thought about this alot in the last few years, having Christian best friends. Ultimately, I always have been and always will be an Athiest.

No, we don't always get what we deserve. Everyone makes mistakes: do ours REALLY render us deserving to suffer from depression etc!? And if it is for past Sins, how is that fair when we can't even remember what we did that was so wrong!? And how is it fair that we suffer whilst despots like Mugabe live in luxury!?

The one thing that has kept me going (and still keeps me going) is believing that the future is unwritten. That no matter what's happened, what I'm feeling - tomorrow is another day. If I give it my all and try to be the best person I can: why can't tomorrow be brighter!? Since tomorrow is unwritten, in theory it can be completely different from today. Why can't it go the way we individually want it to!?

Trust me, even though I'm over the worst of depression I still feel angry. Angry about why I suffered, ow the World is. That if God existed, then I hate him and want nothing to do with him. It's easy to say, but it doesn't actually solve anything. And I think you can get your head into lots of tangles by thinking about it too much. At the end of the day, all we can do is give everything our all and try to be the best person we can be. Then see how things turn out!!!

Best wishes to everyone. Hope the future is awesome for all of you!!!

Matthew :)

PS. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm sorry if I have, as it wasn't my intention. My views are my own, but I don't believe they are any more right than anyone elses. Who is to say that I am right and everyone else is wrong!?

Last edited:
L

lovagemuffin

no I don't think we get what we deserve no one deserves mental illness we are born innocent children its the child abusers that need their karma not us.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Some spiritual types would argue that karma isn't about punishment, it's more about balance and experiencing things in a way that's reaping what you sow.

Being mentally ill could be nothing to do with your karma, but perhaps that of someone else in your life.
Perhaps you took care of them and now they need to have the experience of taking care of you.

Also, it's suggested that mental illness isn't because you've been bad, it's something you've chosen to advance your soul. A lot of people find mental health issues set them off on a path of healing and helping others.

I don't know how much I believe of the above statements. Sometimes I agree with them, other times it feels there's no justice. I suppose it's all part of the process though, hey? x

L

lovagemuffin

live by the mantra harm none. simple but effective.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I don't believe we suffer our illnesses for past sins.

I've done some stupid and embarrassing things in my time but I don't think I've ever done anything bad enough to even begin to cover the mental health issues I've endured.

Sadly, I sometimes find that those who should perhaps suffer for past sins seem to sail through life with few worries and even less of a conscience. The former probably due to the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Dear Brat Tomato,

From the Buddhist perspective not everything that happens is down to karma, there are the five Niyamas (google is your friend if you want to look it up). They roughly translate as the laws of physics and chemistry, the laws of biology, the laws of psychology, the laws of Dharma (spiritual laws) and the law of Karma.

The Buddha said that its virtually impossible to tell which law or combination of laws is operating at any given time (unless your enlightened) and its pointless trying to figure it out as all your going to do is tie your head up in knots.

T

Topcat

Sometimes (now) I feel like my whole life so far has either been a punishment I deserve, or I'm just really fucking useless at living.
Feels like it all keeps piling on :(

coldwater00

coldwater00

Some spiritual types would argue that karma isn't about punishment, it's more about balance and experiencing things in a way that's reaping what you sow.

Being mentally ill could be nothing to do with your karma, but perhaps that of someone else in your life.
Perhaps you took care of them and now they need to have the experience of taking care of you.

Also, it's suggested that mental illness isn't because you've been bad, it's something you've chosen to advance your soul. A lot of people find mental health issues set them off on a path of healing and helping others.

I don't know how much I believe of the above statements. Sometimes I agree with them, other times it feels there's no justice. I suppose it's all part of the process though, hey? x
I think there are deeper meanings within our experiences, suffering is never just one dimensional.

Although sometimes it seems like nothing really makes sense and Karma is just a load of twaddle. I don't think I genuinely believe that though - I believe in having a soul.