• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you find anxiety suppresses your sense of humour?

hicks

hicks

I watch how other people talk in groups. They relate funny anecdotes, they tell jokes. I find it really hard to do this, due to self-consciousness.
It's not that I don't have a sense of humour. In fact, if I'm joking with you, feel privileged, because I can only do that with people I'm really comfortable talking to.
I do envy people who can entertain a group with witty banter.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

if everyone is talking at once then its not gonna work. so the group needs people who listen. that is your role. you are the listener. you are the one who is providing support to the group. it wont be the same without you.

P

Purpleplum

Some people aren't group people. I'm pretty good with banter but it's usually one on one.

Topcat

Topcat

If I start feeling self conscious I find it suppresses any communication from me. Not just in group situations either, I was visiting my neighbour today with my husband and kids and just talking to her I could hear myself thinking that I was gesticulating too much, talking weirdly, stammering the more self conscious I got. Eventually I'll just stop talking if I can help it as my anxiety ramps up.

Argon

Argon

I watch how other people talk in groups. They relate funny anecdotes, they tell jokes. I find it really hard to do this, due to self-consciousness.
It's not that I don't have a sense of humour. In fact, if I'm joking with you, feel privileged, because I can only do that with people I'm really comfortable talking to.
I do envy people who can entertain a group with witty banter.
If you say something stupid you can just pretend it was a joke. So you have to get the reputation for saying strange things. Weirdos of the world unite!

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather…
Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Personally I find comparing myself to others' can be counter-productive. When we're struggling we might expect too much from ouselves aswell. Perhaps removing all expectations could be progress to being more relaxed? Then when relaxed, raise those expectation levels slowly, focussing on keeping those stress levels to a minimum whilst staying motivated? Don't know if this is any help though...