• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do you feel sorry for things constantly?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Feeling sorry about everything, every failure, every mistake or upset even those that I can't prevent or stop. Afraid of messing things up more or hurting others. Constantly just feeling sorry like I need to tell someone I am sorry but I can't fix things, things that I can't fix no matter what the effort and things that I could easily not mess up if I had something I am missing. Feeling sorry for feeling so low and down for so long and not being able to pull myself out. For ruining things and for possibly of ruining things for others, for not being there eve when I am, for pretending and for that part of me that wants to stop trying. I'm tired. I want out of these feelings and state of mind but am going in circles. I feel like I want to tell everyone I know and love that I am sorry. I want to rest for a long time.

C

celticlass

Feeling sorry about everything, every failure, every mistake or upset even those that I can't prevent or stop. Afraid of messing things up more or hurting others. Constantly just feeling sorry like I need to tell someone I am sorry but I can't fix things, things that I can't fix no matter what the effort and things that I could easily not mess up if I had something I am missing. Feeling sorry for feeling so low and down for so long and not being able to pull myself out. For ruining things and for possibly of ruining things for others, for not being there eve when I am, for pretending and for that part of me that wants to stop trying. I'm tired. I want out of these feelings and state of mind but am going in circles. I feel like I want to tell everyone I know and love that I am sorry. I want to rest for a long time.
I can relate absolutely to what you are saying. It is very hard for me to stop apologising. I think it is to do with being constantly criticised as a child. Emotional abuse was going on.9

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there, I have been feeling this way a lot lately. Basically just looking back over my manic episodes and being so totally regretful of things that I really just can’t change now. Those things are a part of my personal record in life and I hate it now it’s not what I would want for myself or for anyone else but it’s the way this are. I wish I could change things but I can’t and I have regrets for that also. It gets tiring to always feel so sorry but it seems like it is an endless feeling that I just can’t change. xo, j

Z

ZechariahElijah

My experience with depression has been that I feel really sorry for the things I have messed up over the past few years. It’s hard to deal with. But it’s important to see the things we do well and the gifts we’ve been given. It’s a hard lesson to learn, I know.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Thanks for the replies. I feel sorry for things ahead. I am petrified of making wrong decisions for my mom. Making decisions is not easy for me. Making decisions revolving around things that are different from one day to the next is confusing. Smaller decisions not related feel difficult.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi @Signofthetimes
I was probably wrong to suggest that you might be a perfectionist. Perhaps the following article on self-pity is more appropriate in your case:

Preventing Self-pity
Thank you for sharing this. I don't complain at home or work etc, so I should be more careful not to do so here. Thank you for the list. I am having trouble with my feelings, but I don't try to focus on the negative things. I feel stuck and I don't feel good in every sense of the word.I am making so many decisions revolving around my mom in addition to other life decisions. I love my mom and I want to help her, but in the past I kept a distance from her emotionally for many reasons. The current situation brings back some of the reasons and its harder to push away unwanted thoughts and feelings. I hate myself for that. So yes, stuck in self pity.

I have done most of the things on the list. I have volunteered at food banks, schools, jr. chamber of commerce, animal rescues, etc. I work, try to stay involved, exercise.

As for gratitude, I keep telling myself that it is possible to be grateful even when not feeling well. I am grateful.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I can relate absolutely to what you are saying. It is very hard for me to stop apologising. I think it is to do with being constantly criticised as a child. Emotional abuse was going on.9
Physical and emotional abuse and constant criticism as a child too. xo

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi there, I have been feeling this way a lot lately. Basically just looking back over my manic episodes and being so totally regretful of things that I really just can’t change now. Those things are a part of my personal record in life and I hate it now it’s not what I would want for myself or for anyone else but it’s the way this are. I wish I could change things but I can’t and I have regrets for that also. It gets tiring to always feel so sorry but it seems like it is an endless feeling that I just can’t change. xo, j
yes, feeling regret too and the endless feeling of sorry. Thanks for sharing that you feel it sometimes too.

Z

ZechariahElijah

You have given me something to think about. I am often too quick to see flaws and am overly concerned with making mistakes.
I do the same thing. Depression often plays off aspects of our personalities and makes them more extreme (I was going over this exact thing with my therapist this week). The good news is we don’t have to be trapped in our perfectionism (or what ever else we may be struggling with). We can learn to look at things in a more positive light.