• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you feel guilt (of your depression) or not ?

M

ManDss

I dont.

Sometimes I read people say "I feel guilty I let down people", and I feel the oposite, "I dont feel guilty, they let me down". Or have other guilty feelings about situations.

Ive always feel all the opposite than guilty. I feel my problems were because no one helped me. I kinda blame other people for some of my problems, but its not a strong feeling now, I mean, yes, they are to blame, end of the story, turn the page, its not that Im always thinking about that.

I dont think bad of people who have guilty feelings. This post is more to see if there are others who also have depression and dont feel guilty, because to me is an unrelated feeling.

S

SadRainbow

I've always carried a lot of guilt. I think it's because of the way my mother raised me. I feel guilty that I don't do more for and with the people I care about. But I try to remember I have an illness and it's not my fault.

Bod

Bod

I use to feel very guilty but after getting all my help I stopped feeling guilty anymore.

J

justabloke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I dont.

Sometimes I read people say "I feel guilty I let down people", and I feel the oposite, "I dont feel guilty, they let me down". Or have other guilty feelings about situations.

Ive always feel all the opposite than guilty. I feel my problems were because no one helped me. I kinda blame other people for some of my problems, but its not a strong feeling now, I mean, yes, they are to blame, end of the story, turn the page, its not that Im always thinking about that.

I dont think bad of people who have guilty feelings. This post is more to see if there are others who also have depression and dont feel guilty, because to me is an unrelated feeling.
I do feel guilty sometimes. I am not working at the moment and in terms of the UK social hierarchy I am somewhere near the bottom. Sometimes I feel quite resentful as well. It is not pretty but it is what it is I suppose.

L

LouieLou

I do feel guilty sometimes. I am not working at the moment and in terms of the UK social hierarchy I am somewhere near the bottom. Sometimes I feel quite resentful as well. It is not pretty but it is what it is I suppose.
Yes I am in the same boat as you signed off ssick til 30/11 and don't know ow whether I can cope with pressure of my job which has become extremely stressful during covid. At first the depression made me feel guilty whats wrong with me but now I accept my depression is the same as a physical illness without taking medication.
Luckily I am getting paid until December, but as my brain doesn't take well to antidepressants i asked to be under home treatment as I was so scared as to how bad my depression was. Mirtzapine has helped me with sleep mood and low dose seroquel/ quetiapine for anxiety.

I've had lots of help from my mum, husband, home treatment team and gp. Don't know about your health trust but ours via gp referral can do an exercise by invitation referral so you can get a gym pass to use at leisure centres and admission at discounted rate to help with brain chemistry. Evan though I am 41 I used it to go to an over 50s exercise class with a friend who is older and it did help me mentally. Maybe something worth looking into.

The only thing I can say is that it takes time to get better x coming on the forum is good as depression ma,especially you feel you're all alone but your not its your mind tricking you. You are not alone things aren't as bad as your sick mind is making it out to be. Please reach out if your struggling x

J

justabloke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes I am in the same boat as you signed off ssick til 30/11 and don't know ow whether I can cope with pressure of my job which has become extremely stressful during covid. At first the depression made me feel guilty whats wrong with me but now I accept my depression is the same as a physical illness without taking medication.
Luckily I am getting paid until December, but as my brain doesn't take well to antidepressants i asked to be under home treatment as I was so scared as to how bad my depression was. Mirtzapine has helped me with sleep mood and low dose seroquel/ quetiapine for anxiety.

I've had lots of help from my mum, husband, home treatment team and gp. Don't know about your health trust but ours via gp referral can do an exercise by invitation referral so you can get a gym pass to use at leisure centres and admission at discounted rate to help with brain chemistry. Evan though I am 41 I used it to go to an over 50s exercise class with a friend who is older and it did help me mentally. Maybe something worth looking into.

The only thing I can say is that it takes time to get better x coming on the forum is good as depression ma,especially you feel you're all alone but your not its your mind tricking you. You are not alone things aren't as bad as your sick mind is making it out to be. Please reach out if your struggling x
I went off work unwell last year but the sick pay only lasted a couple of months, then it was halved. I ended up resigning because I thought..well - best not to go into it. Work managed to overpay me (despite seven weeks of notice from me) two months (I guess I assumed it was holiday or back pay) then demanded the money back. I've now not much money and a lot of debt.

I found another job in August/September but within a couple of days of starting the role I began to worry/fixate on things that I knew I had done wrong. It culminated over the Bank Holiday weekend, I'd gotten it into my head that I could go somewhere in the countryside be by myself and die somehow. I believed it enough skip work and go into the countryside.. but after a couple of hours walk I realised I couldn't just die? It is strange.

I ended up contacting the GP who made a referral to the community mental health team. I had one phone call after which they agreed to complete an assessment but there is apparently a two month wait. I started on medication again (Mirtazapine).

I made a claim for Universal Credit but it still has not paid. Who knows when it will? The bank are getting shrill about money, but what can I do? I'm not a goose that can lay golden eggs.

I'm probably screwed unless I find work but if I find work things may go wrong again. It is a pickle.

2Much2Feel

I feel a ton of guilt toward my son, as I know he deserves better and that it affects him when I can't do anything. I have some guilt toward family, as they have tried to help me but nothing works. Mostly, it's from being a mom and feeling like a failure of mom, like his step mother does far more than I do (and I cannot stand her). It feels like hell right now, and here I go to lay down again, not up to this day. xx

Z

ZechariahElijah

I feel guilty that I can’t work the way I need to. My job is flexible, but I’ve had to pass work off to other people. I feel really guilty that I haven’t been able to get out of bed this week

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I dont.

Hi @ManDss
Like you, I don't feel guilty; they let me down. This describes my horrible situation in which my entire family, consisting of my two adult children and my ex-wife, basically just gave up on me. My ex-wife divorced me after 26 years of marriage. None of them could no longer be a caregiver to me. All of them basically divorced me and kicked me out of the family because of my severe depression.

K

Keesha

Unfortunately very much so but I feel guilty for merely being alive. It’s quite pathetic actually. 🥺

Nate

Nate

I dont.

I have problems with guilt mainly due to my divorce 15 year's ago.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

Its very easy for me to feel guilty. Its a major reason why I isolate. I’m not good enough to be accepted by the muggles. Thats 100% my fault.