• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do you feel angry often or rarely?

jajingna

jajingna

I don't seem to feel much anger, only occasionally. I have frustration, not quite the same thing. Was reading something that described anger as a sort of dilemma. That being, that expressing it can be good or bad for health, and repressing it is just not healthy. Expressing anger as rage is the problem for health. Suppressing anger also is implicated in health problems. We're talking long-term, when this is how you've lived your life since you learned these coping strategies long ago. People who harbor resentment and hostility are at increased risk for poor health.

Then what is a healthy expression of anger? If you keep it inside, that's not good. And if you just explode every now and then, that's also bad. In that book someone described the healthy expression of anger as one where the angry person is calm, not anxious. It's where the nervous system is relaxed. A different view on anger. One where if you were watching the angry person, not hearing his words, you'd have no idea he was angry as he looks calm and composed while expressing whatever he has a problem with.

Rage was characterized as an expression of anxiety. Quite different to the healthy expression where one is calm. So, the appropriate expression of anger should not be stressful.

Anyway, I'm probably not even aware of my anger. Grew up learning to suppress it while the older folks in the home were flying off the handle.

Karmaman

Karmaman

I rarely feel anger towards towards others these days. I feel anger inside at myself internally. I can't deal with how things have turned out in my life.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I get angry often i guess? I don't want to get angry or part of me does??

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I'm an angry person. I do my best to keep that to myself because I don't want to cause someone else pain. I don't want to be an angry person.

Finite

Finite

I used to only very rarely feel feelings on the anger spectrum, like degrees of frustration. I'm concerned I might have repressed anger issues though, as since I recently started some new medication for anxiety, I'm finding myself having angry outbursts at things that wouldn't have set me off in the past. Maybe there is an anxiety/anger connection I don't know about or maybe I should just come off these meds and suffer the anxiety, at least that way no one's going to get hurt.

albagobragh

albagobragh

I'm in tandem with @Fairy Lucretia, I've definitely mellowed with age. I'm a bit more philosophical about life in general too. One thing that used to stress me was bad driving when I had a longish commute. Now when I see it I'm like wow, that was special.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

I used to think I was never angry. In fact people would sometimes ask me "don't you ever get angry?". My nature was best described as 'placid' I think. And yet, somehow, these days I feel that I'm constantly angry. Maybe that's just ageing, it's why the word 'grumpy' was invented for people my age (and older - I'm sure it will get worse).

On the other hand, it's a very vague, ineffectual, futile sort of anger. I'm rarely clear who or what I'm angry _with_. Just some vague idea of 'the nature of the world' or something. If I believed in God I'd be furious with him. He's a sadist, I think.

JamesWM2051

JamesWM2051

Rarely. I have a long fuse and tend towards passivity in most situations, so emotions need to build over time and I'm usually the person on the end of whatever is building. Bitterness, guilt, envy and shame are more up my street as far as negative emotions go. If I do get angry at someone though I very rarely forgive, so I'm sort of difficult to rile up but once set against you then probably will be for life.

I doubt I live ''in the moment'' enough to be become angry frequently enough to be angry a lot.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I really don’t think I’m that angry. But when I meet someone who definitely isn’t an angry person, I feel those people always have a different demeanour than me maybe I’m a medium angry person.

lifecangetbetter

lifecangetbetter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Very very very often. My hurt turns into anger

C

celticlass

I may feel anger but it is not displayed or expressed very often. What can come out of me is mental stress due to physical limitations/ lack of energy.