• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Do you ever refuse your meds?

A

Apotheosis

Yes, I have done in the past - & they enforce them.

The mental hell system is based on prescribing & forcing people to take meds - & very little else.

Wendy

Wendy

Hi,if you stop your meds and your cpn doctor,mental health team feel you are unwell or a risk to yourself,they can section you.
Wendy x

T

Twylight

I use to stop my meds, but when i become unwell, I cause so much devastation to people around me, that I don't anymore

I've lost count how many mobile phones i've binned

I totally trash the flat, smash the telly, cut off the internet cable..etc

shaky

shaky

Yes, I have done in the past - & they enforce them.

The mental hell system is based on prescribing & forcing people to take meds - & very little else.
So if I'm feeling 'dangerous', and I go to the doctor for help, all he's got to offer is to put me back on drugs?
And if I refuse to take them (because my psychosis insists that they are poisonous to me), he'll get some kind of court order or something to force me to have them?
But how do they force you to take a drug? You have to swallow the thing in the end.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Not had experience of it myself but I guess they give you an injection??? Anyone confirm?

T

Twylight

Not had experience of it myself but I guess they give you an injection??? Anyone confirm?
Oh Yes !

They inject into the biggest muscle ( the bottom ) and the drug slowly leaks into the bloodstream and through the brain

A

Apotheosis

So if I'm feeling 'dangerous', and I go to the doctor for help, all he's got to offer is to put me back on drugs?
And if I refuse to take them (because my psychosis insists that they are poisonous to me), he'll get some kind of court order or something to force me to have them?
But how do they force you to take a drug? You have to swallow the thing in the end.
That's about the truth of it.

It matters not whether you are dangerous or not. The totally ambiguous pre-requisite of 'a danger to oneself or others' just about justifies anything being done to you by the psychiatric system.

Psychiatry is social control & powerfully coerces & imposes drug treatments on the individual; whether the individual likes it or not. People that willingly take their drugs don't see it. Try telling your medical team that you want a med free recovery & 'alternative' med free help, & that you are not going to take meds any more - & see what happens! - There is no choice or freedom in this.

I have been made utterly dependant on a med; through coercion & control.

At 17 I was sectioned & forced meds - held down & injected & made to take them. If I hadn't have played ball with taking the tablets; then they would have placed me on depot injections. I had to comply to get out of that place.

I managed to get off the meds that time when I was discharged. 4 years later I was back in hospital & I took the meds. I again stopped them on discharge. Then after another 4 years I was again sectioned & put back on meds; at very high doses. A year after discharge I came off the med; went totally crazy; which I think was a severe withdrawal reaction from the med, was sectioned again & refused the meds. I was then threatened with a 6 month section & depot injections if I didn't take them. & so I took them at a reduced dose.

Over the past 10 years I have tried everything I can to get off this med, stopping it another 2 times completely; & trying a lot of ways to reduce it. I believe that my mind is utterly dependant on this med, & that this med has caused severe changes in my brain structure & my brains chemical balance.

I have been forced & coerced into this situation - & I don't see what real choice I had in any of it? What real help do you get from orthodox psychiatry apart from meds? It took me 20 years to get 12 sessions with a psychologist! & I have been refused any more psychological help. I wanted comprehensive social & psychological help - I never got it; & I never will get that help.

What do I do here? I have been made dependant on this drug - I can't stop it because the withdrawal effects are so severe; & I do not have the social support or psychological help to get through the withdrawal. If I do stop taking them; then I get taken back & made to take meds. If I didn't take the meds I would be sectioned.

You now have CTO's, & much increased powers of psychiatry to enforce that people in the community take meds. Everyone I have known with the same diagnosis in the past (paranoid schizophrenia); that has reused meds, have been placed on depot injections. I would rather, reluctantly take a low dose of one med than that.

Last edited:
shaky

shaky

:unsure:
I'm at a bit of a loss.
I was thinking of going to my doctor tomorrow to tell him that I'm banging my head on the wall and I don't think that's a good thing.
But he's sure to say 'We'll put you back on the citalopram'
To which I will have to reply that I can't do that because the man in the mirror (Marcus Aurelius) has told me I can't take any of those medicines.

So going to see him would be a complete waste of time for him and me as he hasn't got anything else to offer.
But not going to see him I might end up damaging myself (How hard to you have to hit your head to break your skull?)

So I don't know what to do. :unsure:

Maybe I'll feel better later. :) Maybe I won't :cry:
:shrug:

A

Apotheosis

It's about balance Shaky. & these things are IMO highly individual & highly complex.

I have my own very strong opinions on meds, society & orthodox psychiatry. But there are no clear answers here. The whole field of 'alternatives' & depth psychology is as unprovable in scientific terms as the bio-medical model is.

There is no doubt that some of us are suffering severe MH difficulties. Yes I would like, & would have liked comprehensive social & psychological help. But at the exclusion of that help; then what do we do? If the choice is largely meds or nothing - then which is better? We have to find a balance with it; & as lacking as any genuine care or support is for most of us; then we have to make use of what is available. There is no doubt that being on high/multiple doses of psychiatric drugs on one level makes things a lot easier. The problems for me come in that I am loosing higher functioning & am not living my life as fully as it can be lived. Whether street drugs or psychiatric drugs ~ being drugged up is not living (IMO). Fair enough if people find it helpful; but there should be real choice in these things; & I don't see where that real choice is.

Even for those that embrace the bio-medical model & meds; they see the problems & 'lack' with such an approach. Psychiatric drugs are not a cure - far from it. But if someone is experiencing distressing & disturbing mental & emotional states; & genuine social support & psychological help is not available - then what do we do? Sometimes maybe it is better to get drugged up on meds (&/or street drugs) & forget about it all?

Last edited: