• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

do you belive if theres a link between spiritualty, religion and voice hearing

H

happiness12

do you belive if theres a link between spiritualty, religion and voice hearing

having been reading some of the posts it strikes me that there is a strong link between religious learning and voice hearing and
hallusanations . for me i am scared about anything about the devil and my voices i was told i had a demon inside of me and i needed to be excersidsed from other religions example the native americans who have shamen people who hear voices and have hallusanations this is the norm. i would like to ask people if they think that bieing possed or hearing voices is the norm for everyone that hears voices or people have other ideas about trauma from childhood or from life itself., or from chemical inbalance in the body. everbody who hears voices do they have more ideas why people hear voices
from peoples own expersince and i they cope thankyou happiness12

R

rabina

Re: do you belive if theres a link between spiritualty, religion and voice hearing

having been reading some of the posts it strikes me that there is a strong link between religious learning and voice hearing and
hallusanations . for me i am scared about anything about the devil and my voices i was told i had a demon inside of me and i needed to be excersidsed from other religions example the native americans who have shamen people who hear voices and have hallusanations this is the norm. i would like to ask people if they think that bieing possed or hearing voices is the norm for everyone that hears voices or people have other ideas about trauma from childhood or from life itself., or from chemical inbalance in the body. everbody who hears voices do they have more ideas why people hear voices
from peoples own expersince and i they cope thankyou happiness12

Happiness,

Yeah, I do believe there are many, many reasons as to why a person hears voices.

I am sure you're not possessed by the devil himself.

Your religious background could play a role in helping you or hindering you in coping with the voices.

When you get down to it; we have to deal with these voices.
If you can find the source of your voices, I believe that's a plus for you.

Since I don't know the source of my voice, I choose to learn to deal with it and I do believe in God/Jesus Christ so I do rely on my faith to a degree.

Faith in what's good no matter what religion you may be.
Faith, hope, perserverance and knowledge are all important.

rabina

parker

parker

Re: do you belive if theres a link between spiritualty, religion and voice hearing

i would like to ask people if they think that bieing possed or hearing voices is the norm for everyone that hears voices or people have other ideas about trauma from childhood or from life itself., or from chemical inbalance in the body.
Hi Happiness

I think its important for each individual to find out for themselves which path to take.

Me i don't have a religious bone in my body:cool: I use to be one of those that made fun of people that believed in the paranormal. I was all over the board at first trying to make sence of the voices. I really thought i was a TI at first. My wife new what it was but i wouldn't believe her.

It took me eight months to finally realize that it was paranormal. Some of the stuff i've experinced has been fascinating. The choke holds to this day i think are the best. I'm not a very small guy and worked with cattle a good part of my life so i can hold my own pretty good:) I've been pinned to my bed with a invisible hand putting a choke hold on me. It doesn't hurt at all (i think its suppose to generate fear) it feels weird because it grabs through the neck and around the windpipe.

Anyways it won't do this anymore because it doesn't scare me. This economy scares me more than anything:mad:

H

happiness12

hi rabina and parker,
thanks for your posts you are really helping me try and find a solution
to understand my voices better and try and work through them.i hav e learnt alot that there are loads of different ways of how to deal with
voices just reading this websight and learning from other voice hears. from what i gather it doesnt matter where they come from but how to live with them some days are really hard but i know i have to start trusting in people to let them in like my husband psychiatrist and people who are trying to help me just saying outloud to a person who believes and trust you and not to be ashamed stand up and say i hear voices i need your help and help each other inaway that you both get educated about the voices that i hear in my head. rabina and parker you talk positively even though we all have strugggles on a day today basis we all carry on thankyou all for helping me and for your posts

don't do what i woundn't do
happiness12

T

ThePayingRoomate

Perhaps it was because my voices began with a near-death experience, but for the longest time I thought I may have developed some sort of supernatural connection to evil forces, such as demons, or spirits of some sort. I've always been a fairly straightforward rational person so I was attempting to find some straightforward rational explanation for what I was experiencing.

My background may have played the deciding role on why I eventually discounted such explanations, but that certainly doesn't mean that others shouldn't come to other conclusions. I was a long time agnostic who by the time of starting college decided that atheism was where my beliefs and understanding of the world was where I stood. My "roommates" as I call them, tested my non-faith as it was an experience I could not easily explain from that point of view. Given my background though, I, like most people, yearned for something that fit with my understanding of the world... and came to the conclusion that my injuries that initiated my voices caused my brain to malfunction.

That could quite easily be cognitive dissonance on my part though. So far, after even CT scans and MRIs and other scientific tests, there's no definite reason why my brain might be acting up in such a way. The doctor's know it's possible and it does happen, but they don't understand why. So it's merely their opinion, and an opinion I share.

There's no reason why anyone can't have an alternative opinion that makes sense to their world view, nor should that be used as an excuse to avoid the fact that our experiences may not necessarily reflect reality given the complexity of the brain. I'd hope they wouldn't judge me too harshly for coming to my own conclusions on the subject, as it makes the most sense to me. I, in return, will gladly accept that their take on the subject makes far more sense to them and I am in no position to question that experience, even if I have my own opinion on why they have it.

That's my 2 cents anyways. For what it's worth, whether prophets or enlightened folks of old got their insights from supernatural forces or their brain functioning in atypical ways... one can still appreciate when the end-product can make sense of our lives and the inherent challenges that come with living. A classic example would be Thomas Jefferson, who didn't believe in a mythological Jesus with super powers but still valued his insights and example. A Jesus who actually walked on water doesn't help or hurt the usefulness of his philosophy.