• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you believe in the claim that everyone has good in them?

Is there good in everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
K

khuang

I personally don’t believe it’s true for everyone. The reason I’m asking this is because I was recently watching the one Full House episode that dealt with child abuse and how they claimed twice that everyone has something good about them deep inside which irritated me. I can think of several examples of people who can’t be seen as having some good no matter how hard you try. Parents who physically abuse their kids clearly aren’t “good.” Leaders that order genocide can’t be considered “good.” And I can never see the person that sexually assaulted me and continued to bully me as anything other than a monster no matter how hard you try to convince me otherwise. What are your thoughts on this?

hicks

hicks

I was coincidentally reading a recent news item about someone who'd been mistakenly released from prison, and went on a two week crime spree, abducting and raping people. Do I believe this person has some good in them? He may have had at some stage in his life, but at this point, I really don't think so, and doesn't deserve a place in civilised society.

E

EstherRose94

I think that humans in general are inherently good but I also think that this can be overridden in some people. How or why I don’t know. But I’m definitely not going to claim your abuser is good at his core.

also, that sounds like such a weird episode of full house and I was sure I’d seen them all 80 times. It takes immaculate writing to tackle an issue like that in 23 minutes and I think we all know that show didn’t have it. They missed the mark.

R

rawlinsc

I believe everyone is born good but a minority of people get corrupted by society as adults and become evil.

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

I personally don’t believe it’s true for everyone. The reason I’m asking this is because I was recently watching the one Full House episode that dealt with child abuse and how they claimed twice that everyone has something good about them deep inside which irritated me. I can think of several examples of people who can’t be seen as having some good no matter how hard you try. Parents who physically abuse their kids clearly aren’t “good.” Leaders that order genocide can’t be considered “good.” And I can never see the person that sexually assaulted me and continued to bully me as anything other than a monster no matter how hard you try to convince me otherwise. What are your thoughts on this?
Hi khuang!

Interesting question. I believe that everyone has potential to be "good". Whether everyone is good is complicating. Good people can do bad things and bad people can do good things. I feel like everyone has the ability to be good and bad.