• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you believe in med free halfway houses (group homes)

GreenEmerald

GreenEmerald

Do you believe in med free halfway houses (group homes). Ive heard of soteria house and am looking for opinions from you on med free group homes.

S

supergreysmoke

Depends. Can imagine them being supportive for months, would they still be supportive after a relapse and return to meds? Could become a moneyspinner giving false hope, or supportive. Would need to see how they operated in practice? Would they be dedicated? or part of the false mantra that serious mental illness isn't real?

Kerome

Kerome

I do believe in them, but meds have their place as well. It's a personal choice.

Last time I tried to go without meds I lasted about three weeks after tapering to zero, gradually worsening while staying at my dads place, before ending up on different meds than before and taking about two months to stabilise on the new regime. My pdocs stance is that psychosis lasting longer than that can be quite damaging.

So I don't know about staying at a drug free halfway house for too long if you have psychosis. It's a personal choice about what is the best option for you.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Last time I tried to go without meds I lasted about three weeks after tapering to zero, gradually worsening while staying at my dads place, before ending up on different meds than before and taking about two months to stabilise on the new regime. My pdocs stance is that psychosis lasting longer than that can be quite damaging.
i don't think that unmedicated psychosis is necessarily that bad really in relation to potential damage - depending on certain factors. & i'd see a very marked difference between an untreated first episode & subsequent drug withdrawal episodes. & what of the damage from psychiatric drugs?

Ideal Worlds - i think a majority of people would recover medication free with the right psychological & social support approaches - a minority i think would still maybe need a longer term use of a wisely prescribed medication. i do feel strongly that there should be more genuine choice in what treatment approaches people can access.

Put anyone through the current psychiatric system & that in itself will make them ill.

Last edited:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
the false mantra that serious mental illness isn't real?
Can you define what it all is? i'm not being facetious. What are these conditions? Closest i can get to an answer is an integral view covering bio/psycho/social & spiritual factors.

Some say it's all physiological - others say there is zero evidence any of it is. No one seems to really know? No one knows the aetiology, especially of schizophrenia, but in reality none of it is known for any 'mental health' condition.

The pharmacological/biomedical psychiatric industry claims these conditions/experiences are disorders of the brain (caused by faulty genes) best treated with drugs - & then there is a whole range of sociological, psychological & spiritual claims which totally differ as to cause & in explaining what these conditions are.

i just find it all very confusing - there are no tests of any kind. The orthodox psychiatric view seems very flaky to me. Some of the more alternative/fringe areas make a lot more sense to me personally.

When pressed, & questions asked - no one seems able to answer them, & generally just deny/ignore the point being made, or default to some standard biomedical response.

S

supergreysmoke

I can only speak from my experience. I wouldn't call them illness states myself albeit it is useful right now, not least from the support group and leaving me alone when I want to be left alone angle, there are states of mind that occur which are of the William Blake sort at best and Charlie Manson sort at worst. These are unusual states of mind. Perhaps through experience, triggered by trauma and extreme circumstance, some are more prone to these?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'vw heard the arbours has a reputation for taking people off drugs then sectioning them when the going gets tough, thats the british version of soteria house, a friend his cpn said the arbours takes people off drugs then expects the nhs to pick up the pieces

bit libellous about the arbours i guess

S

supergreysmoke

i'vw heard the arbours has a reputation for taking people off drugs then sectioning them when the going gets tough, thats the british version of soteria house, a friend his cpn said the arbours takes people off drugs then expects the nhs to pick up the pieces

bit libellous about the arbours i guess
When well people pretend you've got better until the stresses make you ill again. It can become a cycle of denial. Not everyone is gonna be William Blake off meds....quite a number will have had enough horrendous life experiences that off meds leads to a very dangerous state of mind, for themselves and potentially other people. Saying that, minimum therapeutic dosages should be the aim - and care settings that promote that are probably a way forward for many.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Do you believe in med free halfway houses (group homes). Ive heard of soteria house and am looking for opinions from you on med free group homes.
I think a place of refuge for those with serious conditions is a good idea. On a personal level, I think my application would get rejected on the grounds that I appear normal.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I think a place of refuge for those with serious conditions is a good idea. On a personal level, I think my application would get rejected on the grounds that I appear normal.
your more likely to be accepted if you appear normal, it's like the public schools the people who give good results get in free others have to pay a fortune up front

8anana

The NHS actually do group homes where you can go and stay for many months. there is one near me and it's a big victorian stone house.

BillFish

BillFish

I think placing mentally ill/ psychotic people together in a dwelling is a totally flawed idea in the first instance.Why place an individual who intends to go med free and recover into an inherently socially chaotic environment? Much better to emotionally nourish ones self in a calm and structured environment amongst an emotionally stable and healthy group such as a farming family in the Countryside etc.Why we think grouping psychotic people together in large buildings as beneficial is beyond me, but seems to be the established flawed doctrine, even for the anti psychiatry crowd :shrug:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Much better to emotionally nourish ones self in a calm and structured environment amongst an emotionally stable and healthy group such as a farming family in the Countryside etc.
Great Minds think alike -

HEALING HOMES: recovery from psychosis without medication - YouTube

Published on 8 Apr 2014

COMPLETE DOCUMENTARY FILM. "Healing Homes," recovery from psychosis without medication. An in-depth exploration of the Family Care Foundation, one of the best psychosis-oriented programs in the world, a Swedish organization which places people failed by traditional psychiatry in families, many of whom are farm families, as a start to a whole new life. Interviews with clinicians, clients, and host families.

F

firemonkee57

It would help to be into farming. If not....