• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do you become immune to your meds?

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

I started taking citalopram about six weeks ago. I was on 10mg to start with and this was doubled after 10 days. Things were going well and my sleeping thankfully got back to normal.

The last two days though they don't seem to have done a lot for my mood, the feeling of lethargy has returned and last night I really struggled to sleep.

Does anybody think that maybe my body has got used to them and they are no longer doing much or indeed anything?

Thanks for reading this.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey PB,

I wouldn;t have thought after six weeks that you would be immune to the meds, especially whne you have also had an increase. Is there extra things on your mind that are troubling you too, it could be any number of things. Not that I am a Dr so I wouldn;t really know.

Hope you are going to be ok

KS

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I agree with KS, it seems very soon to become immune to them. I took citalopram for several years before it was decided they weren't working for me any more. Go back to the doc, it may be you need a higher dose or it's not fully kicked in yet. My maintenance dose is now 40mg.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
my maitanance dose of citalopram is 60 mg I also had some pretty intensive therapy and after a few months break am returing back to therepy as I feel this is where my recovery will continue

W

whatstheproblem?

Hi, I took propanolol (for panic attacks) and 20mg of citalopram a day for around 2 years- the citalopram worked really well for me, and was happy to imagine I might take it forever! However a few months ago, for no known reason my symptoms became apparent again- i was become more and more anxious in social situations and crying at anything one day then feeling absolutely nothing the next so would self harm to 'sort myself out' etc etc. My dr doubled my dose of citalopram but after 2 months it was clear I was getting worse and worse, ended up in hospital etc. My medication was changed to mirtazapine maybe 2 months ago... But even that was doubled after only a week. Am only just starting to feel some improvement. And after the citalopram 'stopped working' my confidence in a.ds has dropped, and I now wonder how long before these ones stop working and what then! HOWEVER... After only 6 weeks I really don't think you can make any judgement - you need to give them a really good chance. As I said they were great for me for a long time. And you must remember (as I have to remind myself) that even the healthiest minds around have bad days... Don't immediately think it's you're pills or even you're depression if you have a couple of bad days every now and again... Hope things are better for you soon x

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Thanks for the lengthy reply.

I saw my GP this morning. She has been very good. I explained what has happened and she said I am pretty much where they would expect me to be now and that it was a shock that I was feeling as good as I did two weeks ago.

Once again, I think I am guilty of trying to run before I can walk.