Do you answer your voices back or ignore

A

Amyjane8812341

So I am new to hearing voices and have found is so upsetting. I started hearing it say hello ... hello amy over and over. Then it kept saying do you know why I am here. Apart from telling it to go away I have not said anything back .
Do you talk back or ignore your voices ? I am worried if I answer back it going to get worse ?
Many thanks amy

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

hey amy, sometimes i ignore them and sometimes i answer back to them just depends on my situation and mood to be honest...

the psychologist said they can make you say or do anything so dont give them the power

D

DominatingBull

I talk to my voices though sometimes I don't want to . The good voices are really fun to talk to and I think of them as spirit friends . The bad voices aren't worth talking to but I have to tell them to leave me alone . I used to not talk to the voices but they only got worse and I ended up screaming at them repeatedly for a couple years and got locked up repeatedly . But now I'm on some better meds - lithium and risperidone and I haven't been locked up in 10 years !!!
But to tell you the truth I don't know if talking to them or not talking to them is better - I'm just used to talking to them and it's easier .
My care team said years ago that " it's allright if you talk to them , as long as you're allright by it " .
Good thread !

A

Amyjane8812341

Thanks both for getting back to me. The voice I have been having does not sound nice or friendly. I am worried I have let a bad spirit in . If I talk to it I am worried what it is going to say and if I don't talk to it I wonder if it will ever go away.
I really did not want to tell anyone as I thought they would put me in hospital but I am glad I told my CPN.
He said that it's just my mind playing games and it's not real but I find it so hard to understand how my brain can make a voice that sounds like a old man when I am a 30 year old lady .

D

DominatingBull

Thanks both for getting back to me. The voice I have been having does not sound nice or friendly. I am worried I have let a bad spirit in . If I talk to it I am worried what it is going to say and if I don't talk to it I wonder if it will ever go away.
I really did not want to tell anyone as I thought they would put me in hospital but I am glad I told my CPN.
He said that it's just my mind playing games and it's not real but I find it so hard to understand how my brain can make a voice that sounds like a old man when I am a 30 year old lady .
Voices and visions are apparently hallucinations . And hallucinations are dreams while awake . So it's apparently like you're dreaming of an old man . Interesting eh ?!

A

Amyjane8812341

I find it so hard to get my head around . All know is I don't like it .

D

DominatingBull

I know what you mean . Voices and visions is the worst experience I've ever had . It's tortuous and it's wrong .

A

Amyjane8812341

The first time in 30 years I have had it and I would not wish it any one. I am glad I am not the only one going through it

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've never dared to talk back to the voices. Like you said, I'm afraid it might make them talk more. I'm not sure if they know that I can hear them.

A

Amyjane8812341

That's how I feel I also dread talking back to them.

L

Lovelyandstrangethings

Sometimes I talk back to them or ask them questions

A

Amyjane8812341

Thanks for letting me know what you do . My CPN said you have two options to talk to it and risk what it says back or ignore it . At the moment I am ignoring it

NWiddi

NWiddi

I used to talk to mine but he kept on hurting me and wouldn't stop talking so as a punishment I just ignore him and have done for just over two years, he just pretends to be me now and speaks to himself and saying f-you a lot when he says something to himself that he doesn't like. He's completely insane.

A

Amyjane8812341

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I think I am going to keep ignoring for now.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I usually listen to calming music which drowns them out.

N

natalie

Hi Amy,

I usually apart from the fact I am on medication for my voice hearing problems, I listen to upbeat uptempo middle of the road, easy listening music, or musicals, and they work wonders to keep the voices or hallucinations down. Please note that I am on a highish dose of medication for the voices which is keeping me well brilliantly at all times.

In answer to the post question, no, I ignore my voices, certainly not wise to evaulate them off. If i did analyse the voices, I would be in a much worse condiiton.

Nice to meet you.

Take care now.

Last edited:
A

Amyjane8812341

Thank you for that information . I will give it ago. Nice to meet you to
Take care amy