• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

do you always get sectioned?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

if you hear voices? my partner recently opened up to me and said he had been hearing voices for 30 years ,one in particular called jeremy
im scared he will be sectioned ,he is too so he hasn't told the psychiatrist ,i have made him promise to tell them
i read healthy eople can sometimes hear voices ,his current diagnosis is bipolar but they were possibly changing that to bpd-but they are in the dark about the voices x

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Not always in my experience.

The first time I told doctors I was hearing voices I got asked to volunteer to stay on a ward for a matter of days or they would section me for up to a month (some choice huh?), I spent 9 days on the ward where my voice stopped and they let me out.

Months later when my voice returned I went to A&E and asked for meds, they asked me a few questions like who was the Prime Minister and did I know where I was and they were happy to send me home to await contact from the early intervention team who eventually came to my home and prescribed me the meds.

So it would seem it depends on how stable you are and whether you have any insight.

It's always a risk telling people about voices because if there's a bed spare they're eager to fill it in my experience.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I forgot to ask, is he on anti-psychotics for his bipolar?

If so there's not much else they can do for voices, so in my unprofessional opinion I'd say he doesn't need to be sectioned.

O

On Fire

It's fairly high standard to get sectioned these days, need to be a serious threat to either yourself and/or others.

Passionflower

Passionflower

If he's had them for 30 years then I can't see that they would suddenly section him. I have very bad voices and I haven't been sectioned for them.As long as he doesn't want to hurt anyone then I think he's safe from sectioning.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

I forgot to ask, is he on anti-psychotics for his bipolar?

If so there's not much else they can do for voices, so in my unprofessional opinion I'd say he doesn't need to be sectioned.
he is on depokate and setraline ,the doctors don't know about the voices but he is going to tell them
thanks everyone x

N

natalie

Hi Lu,

As long as he vouches, he has the voices, and complies with the p - docs, for suitable meds, then no, he won't necessarily be sectioned.

Best regards to you both.

Natalie.