• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do we really get over deppression,

• Thread starter Wanttofeelpeace5
  • Start date
W

Wanttofeelpeace5

I've been battling it my whole life but now things seem to get worse and worse . Is it "likely I'll ever get over it or am I just here because I don't want to hurt my family . This is a fight I'm sick of fighting ..

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I think depression comes and goes, once you've had it the first time it can come back more than once :hug:

Loves and supports for you Wanttofeelpeace :loveshower: :hug:

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Thank you I just feel really broken at times and just when I think I'm coming right . It really sucks atm

K

Keesha

Agree that it comes and goes but many people with mental disorders are getting hit really hard due to this pandemic. Try and be loving and compassionate with yourself. Be the friend , you always wished you had.
Best of luck.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

It's not really something that you 'get over' or 'cure' - I think it's more about being able to carry it forward in life without it being able to affect your lifestyle, ambitions etc.

Blooming

Blooming

I agree with all the other posters. Don't aim for getting rid of it, but how to live as best you can with it. Make routines for your day, eat healthy, do gym, do relaxation exercises and find yourself a good cause to work for, a meaning for your life (that can be your work, helping as a voluntary when the corona crisis lifts, or a special interest you have). Use a therapist when you feel as worst. A self-help book aimed at helping you to live as well with your depression as you can may give you many ideas. Do a search at Amazon. Please don't give in! I know how that feeling is. In spite of everything life is worth living with or without depression! Good Luck! :hug:

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I wish they didn't come up with the term depression because I feel it made people think they were abnormal or broken. How can a great portion of the world suffer from the same label? We are all different and so are our problems and situations. If antidepressants were a good treatment then why is "depression" growing. Rather I think people get disturbed which is normal. Ups and downs. It's not always a medical problem. Once you give someone a label like depression you are lowering their self confidence.

K

Keesha

And don’t underestimate the power of finding a hobby you are passionate about. Use that hobby as an outlet to express yourself, whether that be photography, artwork, music , gardening or journal writing. It helps greatly. I don’t know what I would have done without my hobbies.

Exercise is a great mood enhancer. Most people don’t like exercise but it’s wonderful for lifting spirits. Exercise promotes healthy brain chemistry.
Just going out for a daily walk can have an incredible impact on mood and should help you sleep better. Take a camera and snap some photos of flowers , birds or anything that moves you.

As Blooming says, self help books or articles from the internet can really be helpful.

Eat well. It’s amazing how much better you instantly feel when you toss all the process food and replace it with healthy stuff.

One thing professionals recommend is that you try and stick to a routine if possible. Try and get up at the same time etc.

Depression can definitely be managed. You become your own ‘life coach.’

Blooming

Blooming

If antidepressants were a good treatment then why is "depression" growing.
I live well with my antidepressants. They don't cure my depression, but they lower the depression enough for me to be able to find my own solutions to problems. I did feel the label 'Depression' as a mark once, but now I feel OK with it. Without antidepressants my life was much worse.

I think depression is growing because in these days there are a pressure on people to become better and better in every aspect of their lives. In addition there are so many different messages from the world. You will be happy if you do this or that and so on ... If we skip the trip for happiness and try to live in the here and now, solve problems when they come and then move on, life may be more relaxed ... If we can accept ourselves the way we are, we are on the way for a good life, perhaps not easy, but good enough because it is our life.
:grouphug:

S

Sover47

You kinda just learn to live with it after a while.
I live well with my antidepressants. They don't cure my depression, but they lower the depression enough for me to be able to find my own solutions to problems. I did feel the label 'Depression' as a mark once, but now I feel OK with it. Without antidepressants my life was much worse.

I think depression is growing because in these days there are a pressure on people to become better and better in every aspect of their lives. In addition there are so many different messages from the world. You will be happy if you do this or that and so on ... If we skip the trip for happiness and try to live in the here and now, solve problems when they come and then move on, life may be more relaxed ... If we can accept ourselves the way we are, we are on the way for a good life, perhaps not easy, but good enough because it is our life.
:grouphug:
Due you mind sharing which medication you take? I'm planning on asking my doctor to take me off wellbutrin, but I'm not sure what is a good alternative.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Thanks for all the positive feedback . So hard to explain to non sufferers how dark things get . Feeling above the line today..love to you all

Blooming

Blooming

You kinda just learn to live with it after a while.

Due you mind sharing which medication you take? I'm planning on asking my doctor to take me off wellbutrin, but I'm not sure what is a good alternative.
Why do you want to go off Wellbutin? Does it not work well for you? Do you feel it as a stigma?

With regard to relaxation tecnique I took the time to learn Autogen Training. It is about taking control over the Autonomic brain system. It takes about eight weeks to learn it. You have to set apart half an hour each day for practice.

Here are two articles. You can search youtube for videos of Autogenic Training as well.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Why do you want to go off Wellbutin? Does it not work well for you? Do you feel it as a stigma?

With regard to relaxation tecnique I took the time to learn Autogen Training. It is about taking control over the Autonomic brain system. It takes about eight weeks to learn it. You have to set apart half an hour each day for practice.

Thanks I'll put that On my list of things to do tomorrow . A good no cost app that has heaps of mediative and stress releasing music and guidance is " insight timer "

Blooming

Blooming

Here are two articles. You can search youtube for videos of Autogenic Training as well.

Sorry Sover47, I thought you asked about meditation. I see that now that you asked about MEDICATION and the system will not let me delete the post with an aswer to a question never asked. Celaxa (Citalopram) works fine with me + Mirtazapin for sleep. 🙂