• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do We Get To Read These Reports /Medical Notes ?

M

mumto6

Was just sat thinking about all these reports people seem to be writing up on me. I still have no idea what the other 2 things are that the consultant told me I was suffering from - cyclothymia and PTS are the only 2 I am aware of. There were 4 in total but went straight over my head.

Do I actually have any right to ask to read them , I mean I would like to know exactly what they are writing about me , call it paranoia but I have 5 children and I keep thinking they must assume I am struggling with being a mum.

Although I quiz time and time again that I am safe to be with the kids etc which they assure me I am - I can not help but think they might be lying to me.

Where exaclty are all these reports going ? Do they end just end up on my GP screen?

E

Elvis100

Hi there

Hi, my psychiatrist always sends me the reports after I've seen her. Sometimes it arrives within a week and other times it can be two or three weeks!! You should def be allowed to see anything that has been written about you!!

x

P

prettywoman

Yes you have the right to see your individual file, i work for adult social care, and have worked for nhs, there are policies that apply, like access to files etc, and freedom of information act, so you definately have a right to see whats being written about you. Any good professional should discuss and share with you any reports etc. Take Care x

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I must admit where I used to live I had never thought of being copied into to letters sent but it is the new MH trust I am unders policy. I find this much more reassuring. You can aske you GP the contects of the letter in a consultation of formally request a cope of your notes

S

suzy

I am on lithium and like to get copies of my blood test so I know what level I am on, it has been three weeks since my last test, the docters have no record of it. It's normally back in a week so I am getting a bit annoyed now!

Sorry if off topic :(

jax

jax

I have received my notes from hospital. There were reams and reams of papers as I have had about 20-25 admissions - usually lasting months. It can be a little upsetting seeing what Dr's and nurse write. So make sure you're strong when you get your notes before you read them.
Jax

T

TOONAFISH

i asked to see my notes last time i was in. they strongly advised me not to read them as what was written about me was not sugar coated. i was quite high at the time and thought id be able to self diagnois they said i had a right to see them tho. x

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
How enlightening!! I'd no idea you could see your notes, can you ask for a copy to be sent to you then? I don't think I'd be really comfortable reading them in front of the psychiatrist but I'd love to see what they say as I've never really been given a definitive diagnosis.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I've asked for copies of our notes to be sent to us as we will need them further down the line to stay here - I asked my gp surgery so I don't know if copies of hospital notes will be included. Wasn't cheap though - they are entitled to charge and it has cost us £180. Still to arrive and while I am interested to see what it says, I know it's something to approach with caution, like reading what you wrote in diaries or on here when things were bad.