• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do voices have an effect on you?

F

flatz

just seeing what experience other voice hearers have if any.

They worry me shitless. also making life imposible by interupting my train of thought and behaviour.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

I've usually been able to maintain good distance from what my voices were saying. It was like hearing stories or plays, and my questions and remarks would be my role.

But I did find that if something gets repeated enough it does kind of get in your head. For instance there was a time when my voices were saying I had destroyed mankind. After a day and a night of this I was pretty worried, and then as I was going for a walk, they suddenly started saying I had destroyed mankind when I turned one way, and then that I'd saved mankind when I turned another. So I was meandering through the hills, trying to find the path where I saved mankind. I was never more than moderately worried and didn't really believe it, but still the voices caused me to change my behaviour.

So yes, they had an effect.

SarahD

SarahD

I am really struggling at the moment with them. They are horrible.

They tell me I am crap. They are right.

I can't cope anymore.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am resilient. But the voices effect me.

It has been going on a long time, and I am nearing the end of my tether. I want it to cease.

C

cally75

I am resilient. But the voices effect me.

It has been going on a long time, and I am nearing the end of my tether. I want it to cease.
Everyone has "an angel on one shoulder & "the devil o other!". Example, I can walk down the street & see a total stranger. Voice in my head says punch him in the face for no reason. The Angel says NO I'll get into trouble & probably beaten up! U have the subconscious mind & the subjective "rational" mind. Listen 2 your subjective. The subconscious will try to win but think it through to rationalise it pal

keepsafe

keepsafe

My voices give me hassle daily, I feel I believe what they say and that everything is bad. I am currently trying to question this, but come back to the same conclusions - life is bad

KS
xxx

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have been hearing loud disturbing voices since 2010. In that time since then I have gone bankrupt, lost a job, lost a home, attempted suicide, been arrested - so they do have an effect on me.

I am still hearing voices now, but it is getting better. I am wondering what do I have to show for this experience?

Still struggle to have real life support.

Thinking of returning to work now - life goes on.