• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do they work?

What have these 'Anti-Pscyhotics' Sedative drugs done to you?

• They have made me seriously ill.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I would have preferred proper treatment, help & support; & not to have been pumped full of drugs.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • They seem to help but I worry about the side effects & long term effects.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • They don't work.

• I could have been far better helped by far more comprehensive means, such as depth psychology.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I had no choice in taking them & am now dependant on them.

• This is the way psychiatry & society is & I am a conformist & will do whatever the Doctor says.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know & don't care to think about it.

• I enjoy the effects of a drug & don't care to think about what it's doing to my brain & body.

• They have helped me & I feel wonderful.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
A

Apotheosis

Have you been helped by being given 'anti-psychotics'? Whether forced or taken willingly. Also know as a chemical lobotomy, a chemical cosh, major tranquilizers, & sedatives.

Lets put it to the vote.

emski

emski

Do you mean for schizophrenia or other mental health problems? One anti-psychotic has worked for me, but not necessarily on its own

emski

emski

Ah! The poll was not there when I replied. I go poll (y)

emski

emski

OK, despite the variety of options given in the poll, not one of them applies to me, so I can't poll.

Is this a poll that all users of the forum should be able to take part in?

emski

emski

Honestly, and I'm not having a pop at you, you know I wouldn't do that, but I think maybe the options against are slightly skewed by your experiences, and the options for, well none of them are indicative of my experience, and some of them seem a bit negative / or like people who say they work are just ignorant (apart from the wonderful one, which I'm sure applies to nobody here). Might just be my observation. Plus, the thread is: do they work? and the poll is: what have the antipsychotic sedative drugs done to you?

So I guess I'm wondering whether you want to see how many users say they work / don't work or, you want to know the effects of them and circumstances around which users were put on these drugs.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

i think the main problem is the frontal cortex damage which will happen after awhile its only a matter of time...once your on them you never like being on them and you feel useless and the doctors tell you its your illness and you need a new medication, you then continue to feel like shit and start to think hey maybe these meds are whats making me feel bad so you come off them
once you come off them for the first time you have no support or other medications to help you...then when you start freaking out your made too take medications which induce a breakdown for a 2 week period and then your told thats "bringing the psychosis out" and this is where i think the major trauma occurs psychologly and well your brain itself i think the more these drug induced breakdowns happen the worse you get...it just amazes me that they prescibe a antipsychotic before they prescibe a valium you know a young persons gonna a little mad on the nutty skunk lets give a antipsychotic rather than jus leave him be for a few weeks...take him out of the situation maybe give him a few benzos..having said that avoiding a breakdown at all costs will ultimatly give you the best prognosis.

A

Apotheosis

So I guess I'm wondering whether you want to see how many users say they work / don't work or, you want to know the effects of them and circumstances around which users were put on these drugs.
OK, yes. So what are the options here? Either people feel that these drugs have worked for them; or feel that they haven't.

There is also the position of people not being sure.

& of the course the position of people believing that these drugs have worked well; but in reality they are deluded.

You could of course swing that around the other way & say that some people may believe that these drugs haven't worked; but in actual fact they have.

How would you have the poll EM? -

Do you feel that 'anti-psychotics' have worked for you?

YES?
NO?
MAYBE?
DON'T KNOW?

? That kind of thing ?

In reality this is a highly complex subject, & there was only 10 options for the poll.

A

Apotheosis

i think the main problem is the frontal cortex damage which will happen after awhile its only a matter of time...once your on them you never like being on them and you feel useless and the doctors tell you its your illness and you need a new medication, you then continue to feel like shit and start to think hey maybe these meds are whats making me feel bad so you come off them
once you come off them for the first time you have no support or other medications to help you...then when you start freaking out your made too take medications which induce a breakdown for a 2 week period and then your told thats "bringing the psychosis out" and this is where i think the major trauma occurs psychologly and well your brain itself i think the more these drug induced breakdowns happen the worse you get...it just amazes me that they prescibe a antipsychotic before they prescibe a valium you know a young persons gonna a little mad on the nutty skunk lets give a antipsychotic rather than jus leave him be for a few weeks...take him out of the situation maybe give him a few benzos..having said that avoiding a breakdown at all costs will ultimatly give you the best prognosis.
True. It's a Mad Mad World that we live in.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I think apo knows better than us hes been at this years..its not so much that i dont appreciate there help its just their dishonesty about the drugs that piss's me off.

S

*Sapphire*

I think the answer, I had no choice in taking them covers a broad spectrum.

I was willingly taking them, only because I was never out of the daze I was in from the tablet I was on before. I had no idea what, when and how much I was taking, and when I asked a psychiatrist she came out with all these techincal terms I couldn't understand and I can understand or comprehend most things.

I also had no choice because there was no other alternative for me.
I was told I had it for life, get used to it.

I also feel like the tablets have made me dependent on them to a degree, I could have ticked many boxes.

A

Apotheosis

I think apo knows better than us hes been at this years..
I don't. I just have strong opinions on certain things.

its not so much that i dont appreciate there help its just their dishonesty about the drugs that piss's me off.
Me too; & their dishonesty in general. But I suppose that they don't have to take these stupid Chemicals.

S

*Sapphire*

I was a conformist at one stage too. When I was sixteen I was prescribed high doses of diazepam. I had no idea what they were, I 'trusted' the good doctor.

I was studying for my a'levels. They did not help me.

When I came off it (forced to by my parents) I was not good, it had a devastating effect on me. I had no idea of the cosequences of taking them. There was no leaflet with the little brown bottle of my trusty pills. It wasn't until someone said the word valium that I knew what I had been taking.

The problem was, at that point I associated tablets as the be all or end all. Get off my face and not deal with my problems or come off them and deal with my problems with no help or support and probably leading to the end all, swallow the whole lot and hope for death.

I hate taking them. However I do realise their value when there is lack of support in the health system and society, and lack of acknowledgement of all of our issues.

The only long term answer for me has been therapy but there were times when I could not engage with it, or there was no access to it. Tablets were all I had.