• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do professionals ask to see your SH if they know you do or have a history of doing so?

E

emmaleemochizuki

And do they ask you to talk about it if they can see it's recent, for example in an appointment where you are not seeing them for SH but other things but they see it due to other medical examination needed?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

When they knew i was actively doing self harms they would ask to see them, i let them think i stopped and just got sneakier about doing mine :( :hug:

S

sadgirl

I had a co asocial worker who used to ask to see them just to keep any eye on how things were doing now my gp will ask if I've hurt myself but not check on the wounds

Takingmybrain

Takingmybrain

In the past when i used to self harm pretty badly i used have some proffessionals ask to see them i think as a way to assess how risky things were getting for me.

Takingmybrain

Takingmybrain

Also in answer to your question ive gone to the doctor about another issue and they have seen recent self harm on me and yes they asked about it briefly to just check everything was ok and i was safe enough.

2Much2Feel

Yeah, same as Takingmybrain said, I've seen doctors for unrelated things, they know about my history, and they ask. I used to be able to lie about it much better when I was younger and it wasn't talked about, I honestly didn't know anyone else did it, didn't even understand it myself. Now it is so much more common that they know even when they don't know my SH history, harder to lie about. Good luck to you.

B

Bunny7

They ask if I’ve been self harming and do I need any help with any wounds but generally no, they don’t ask to see.