• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do personality disorder actually exist?

C

carukia

Have being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few years I've read quite a lot about the symptoms of the various PDs and I often think that many of the symptoms are merely descriptions of behaviour and/or thought processes which could apply to the majority of people in society,
I've also thought such a diagnosis could just be label applied to those who don't conform to societal norms and are subsequently seen as somehow deviant.

Whether you agree or disagree, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thank you. :)

-c

M

mad as a hatter

i agree i,ve got bipolor along bpd but i think a lot my behaviour problems r down 2 this and not bpd and i find it hard 2 get ne off the doctors 2 beleive this but instead they just stuck this label on me and how many people in society have got some the traits but don,t get branded with bpd cause they not got ne other mental problems

A

Apotheosis

I've also thought such a diagnosis could just be label applied to those who don't conform to societal norms and are subsequently seen as somehow deviant.
You could apply that reasoning to any & all psychiatric diagnoses - especially schizophrenia.

D

Devon

Hi Carukia,

I think there is a lot of truth in your ideas and in the concept of mental health disorders in general.

Mental Illness is really all based of a society's norms & value in society.

In different cultures for instance it may be considered normal or even beneficial if one attempted to commune with dead spirits or hearing disembodied voices e.g Shamanism.

However there really is no such thing as normality.

I think Thomas Szasz proved that with his experiments regarding the concept of mental illness and how people were treated.

Personally I found having a name for my condition beneficial in many ways.

For instance trying to claim DLA when you are just a patient with "Mental Health issues NOS" is not easy but if you can say that a consultant has given a name to your condition it seems to grease the wheels a bit.

Umtimately though other than that I don't care about what other people say about me, I'm only concerned about how I feel. (y)

A

Ainsworth

However there really is no such thing as normality.
spot on Devon

for me PD are more so learnt behaviours of our enviroment. some are more susceptable to things more so then others.

if you are conditioned to not trust anyone because they hurt you it then becomes a given behaviour which to us is natural. to turn against what comes natural is a frightening place and completely the opposite to what other think so is seen as wrong thought.

these behaviours can become extreme depending on the trauma experienced and the reactions we give or do and when they start affecting our lifes in the form of self harm, drug abuse or any other way which involves not expressing the emotions in the correct way, it shows that the behaviours have over taken who we are and in society its seen as wrong. others with PD can happily carry on and not recognise it as it comes under different headings such as focused, head strong, assertive, angry <list continues>

sadly most people who have a PD which is noticed have it from a young age because of abuse/trauma and it can be very hard to learn new skills to get us through it and also we dont really know who we are as people or what our true personality is as it wasnt allowed to develop.

i have a PD (which one is open for debate) as cover most, including ones based on attachment. i have all the correct behaviours in me but i show them in the wrong order and in an extreme way and do feel completely overwhelmed by them. i have had therapy to help with this but it can be really like telling someone the sky is really blue after years of believing its green and then expecting them to know!

like a brain washing which has been done over years without the person knowing and then the brain just reacts and can lead to shutdown at which point the 'crazies' can come out.

think ive gone off on a tangent again, i have a habit of this, it was in my head and now its out :D

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hey people... Interesting debate we're having here.

Do I believe that PD exist- yes. Why? because people like me are the living proof.

Its the days when I look into my mirror and despise who I am, when nothing really touches my soul, where I dont even feel human, and perhapse I was born wrong and bad for many reasons.... Its them days that I believe that PD are a real condition. It goes beyond having low self estem, for I would still have been a victim of abuse, and that I can never change.

Its when I look around myself and see friends having kids, moving on, having a life, when I realise that I dont have one. Its when when push comes to shove I cant tell them why I'm the way I am.

On top of that, having cylothymia I wonder where abouts does one condition start and the other end, or is it a total miss mash like that Simon advert on tv. Everything at once wirling around in me- and yet nothing also.

I wish it didnt exsist, or that my abuse happened, but it did and for ever I will have to try to live with this and cope the best way I know how.:)

Although I would change the term and not just call people borderline because their dominering or manipulative, I'm not that at all, most of the times i forget information that I later remember. More importantly I wish to be "normal" and like myself, like and know what I see and have a family that I can call my own.

:)

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Do I believe that PD exist- yes. Why? because people like me are the living proof.
I don't think that anyone is negating the severity of what some people go through; nor the distress that some people find themselves in.

What does appear to be up for a lot of debate; is the diagnostic criteria; the methods of diagnosis; & the validity of the diagnostic label.

I get fed up with people saying that I deny mental illness because I question the DSM.

PD could just as easily be called UCD - Unbalanced Character Defect - or any other number of names - There is no proper science in this - tests are not done; the label is not validated in any way; there is not categorical evidence that any MH label is verified in the individual with biological tests - that it is definite that the person is suffering a specific biological condition - no evidence whatsoever - These labels are highly subjective personal observations; based on an arbitrary set of symptoms that head shrinks have basically made up - & that's the simple truth & fact of it.

To my understanding - this diagnostic system is not only ridiculous - but highly dangerous.

I have a label of paranoid schizophrenia; What does that mean? It describes; nor explains nothing!

No biological test has ever been done on me - the fact is that there is no biological test for schizophrenia! - Whatever biological theories that they come up with - they remain just that pure theories; & none of them have ever been categorically proved. & so I am told that I have a biological condition; based in truth on no proper evidence of any kind - but because a load of people have got together & named a set of behaviours as being 'this' because that is what they decide it is!? based on what! The ideas & methods of orthodox psychiatry are as inane, nonsensical, arbitrary, meaningless at any depth, & simply ridiculous; as they were to me when I first heard of them; & orthodox psychiatry & it's methods is far more insane than the people they purport to be helping! Orthodox psychiatry amounts to the same as astrology, tea leaf scrying, voodoo, & other arcane arts.

D

Devon

I totally agree with you there Apo.

Schizophrenia, as an umbrella term can be misleading both for clinicians and clients.

Some times I wonder if it is used when clinicians are either too lazy or too confused to find another diagnosis. :p

S

schizzzoid

My old GP would never use the word disorder, I asked him why, and, he said, it was because he had never come across anyone with an ordered personality!

D

Devon

Fair comment, sounds like a smart guy. :)

P

pinky

Do Personality disorder exist?

Well according to my thoughts, we all have somehow the symptoms mentioned in standardized format (DSMIV) that is use inorder to diagnose a client, but how can we differentiate between the two persons having the same psychological symptoms? can we say both are having the same problem?or is there is a specific thing a doctor needs to know before diagnosing? yes the answer of all questions is the following,

the doctors always keep in mind the cultural norms of his/her client, before diagnosing, and if the problem is interferring client's daily functioning, like work, family or study etc, only then it is considered as a severe problem, that needs clinical attention.

other then that i am against those doctors who instantly labelized the person, without considering its sensitivity for the client in his daily life. the doctors should keep the diagnosis in confientiality and should issue a code according to problem so that the client would not suffer later on..

For all those who are suffering with the pain of stigma related problems and who are being labelized by the doctors, i am suggesting all of them that don't personalize your labels, labels are not you its other then you, something that is with you but not you as a person...

just think positively always:):, be brave, (y)(y)this is not end of the world..

Feel free to share with me all your problems and i will do my best to help you guys...:flowers:

pinky[YOUTUBE]

J

jemoess

i certainly believe that personality disorders exist. the difference between someone who has some symptoms of a personality disorder but is considered normal and someone who has the symptoms and the disorder is the severity. for example, it's normal to want to keep the people you love close to you. it's not normal to feel like you are being abandoned every time they have to leave.

it's already been mentioned, but the symptoms and criteria have a lot to do with society. i haven't read much about it, but i have read before that in other countries things we consider to be disorders are normal there.

i don't think i would be considered normal anywhere though. meh.

for me, it's more important that i get help and get better. unfortunately, without an actual diagnosis i can't get help (cos of the costs involved, and because if i do need meds i have to have a diagnosis for a prescription).

also, some mental illnesses, including some personality disorders i believe, can be tested for physically. i'm pretty sure that schizophrenia is one of them.

a lot of mental illnesses come under an umbrella or a scale - so my sister could potentially be considered to have a very mild form of BPD, perhaps PD NOS if there is/were such a thing with her 5 of 9 BPD criteria, all mild, while i am right up the other end of the BPD scale with 9 of 9 and all of them effecting me daily.

sorry if some of that doesn't make sense, it's after midnight.

Last edited:
P

pinky

yeah personality disorders do exist.. the client's suffering can be make less for not labelizing the person but instead psycoeducating the person is much better, because knowing about the problem is always helpful...:)

J

jemoess

knowledge is definitely power when it comes to beating illness - mental and physical. so having the diagnosis, to me, means i know what i'm trying to deal with.

P

pinky

yeah thats great if one knows about the problem he/she is suffering from.
can i know the activity schedual?