• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do people who know you hear voices, constantly ask what they say?

Ras

Ras

I honestly hate that question and have been asked it more times then i can count, especially from psychiatrists, doctors, nurses and counsellors.
To me it feels inappropriate to ask that question. It is a deeply personal thing i suppose like they are trying to pry into your mind to judge.

Anyone else feel somewhat similar to that?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

yes i hate it too. I never give a proper answer except once.

It was for a trial of a new treatment, and wrote down all my voices on the computer.

Even after that they did not give me any special treatment.

Ras

Ras

yes i hate it too. I never give a proper answer except once.

It was for a trial of a new treatment, and wrote down all my voices on the computer.

Even after that they did not give me any special treatment.
same as you i have never given a real answer except for once and they used it against me.

what was the treatment they were doing if you dont mind me asking?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It was called 'Avatar'. It was programmed so the Avatar on the computer would speak like your voices and you could speak back. It was supposed to give you control and identity to the voices. I did not actually ever use it, and never heard about it since.

Ras

Ras

It was called 'Avatar'. It was programmed so the Avatar on the computer would speak like your voices and you could speak back. It was supposed to give you control and identity to the voices. I did not actually ever use it, and never heard about it since.
never heard anything like that before. Seems like a very strange idea.. Interesting though

F

FF2

Absolutely. A friend and myself have worked out that the voices often cover up subconscious things that want to be addressed, which is deeply personal and important for healing - and having someone ask about them, is like casually saying, what are your biggest fears and regrets? What are you most hopeful for? When I do tell people what they are saying, the voices get angry. Then I can potentially create a dramatic play in my head. Even when they say funny things, its hard.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I don’t mind sharing mine but not with my medical staff. More with my peers. And I only like to share if I feel they are getting one over on me. But no I don’t go around advertising that I hear voices.

F

FF2

****edit - I completely forgot i responded already 3 weeks ago. every day is acidwash and I cant remember how old I am when engaged in "active socializing" cause I'm too preoccupied...

yeah, until I tell them to F&&& off - not quite in that language cause I'm incredibly people pleasey and passive - but same sort of message. "Voices know my soul. They know my Greatest desires, nastiest secrets, craziest thoughts, and how far down a hole I can go when I'm psychotic. Why do you think Id want to tell you or to have you know? Why do you think you deserve that level of trust and respect to know?" I tried telling my peers. It started gossip. Way worse. I'd rather be working with a medical team back to the point where I can have a thought exist in my head not composed of any sort of language, word, or sentence.

M

Maria08

I hate that question too. I try my best to explain but I forget a lot of what they say if it’s regarding delusions, so I tend to keep it brief and vague. It’s so personal. I wish I could explain my delusions so they wouldn’t make guesses and put emphasis on brief delusions, as opposed to concentrating on the harder, more persistent ones. And ideas of reference I don’t like sharing, was the tv talking to you? Yes. What is it saying? None of your business.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Most people do not register that I am hearing voices constantly and just do not ask about it.

In my podcast I never ask what they say - at least that is not the point of it. I do ask if they would like to tell me about them. Perhaps how it makes them feel.

M

Marianda

I know this is not the place to discuss this but Im waking up with a lot of scratches and cuts. I dont self harm and I dont hear voices. I sleep alone. What could be happening? The only explanation is that Im scratching myself while sleeping. This does not sound good.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I know this is not the place to discuss this but Im waking up with a lot of scratches and cuts. I dont self harm and I dont hear voices. I sleep alone. What could be happening? The only explanation is that Im scratching myself while sleeping. This does not sound good.
I suggest you sleep one night wearing mittens to see if that will help. :hug:

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I don't suffer from hearing voices but i think it would be an inappropriate question. It something that I would think that it something you might only share with people very close to you when and if you ready. It be like someone walking up to me and questioning my depression and asking what I thought about when I was depressed. Its more nosy than caring and if you really wanna know something go ask google.