Do people like US recover...?

L

Leenie

is it known for people with depression bipolar anxiety etc etc etc , to recover and be able to function normally in society again? I have hopes for myself and always see my therapist and take my meds as directed

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
not sure about bipolar, but depression and anxiety are probably the most commonly treated if you have the willpower to overcome them

N

Nina998

I have applyed for disability pension because of my illness. I am 34 years old and doctors think I am no longer capable of working. I've been on a sick leave a year and still got rest of year left. I was shocked when my application for rehabilition was denied because I was considered too sick to rehabilitate and I was left with disability pension only option.

My hope now is to be granted disability pension to get money because I can't work. I have a job but I've been on a sick leave over a year and things aren't any brighter nowadays. So, in my opinion, we don't get better. I've lived with this shit over 20 years and I've struggled almost every single day of it.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I think we can, heal and learn to cope with our problems/issues xx

Parayana

Parayana

I'll never be 100% better but I was never 100% anyway, but I'm a damn sight better than i was about 15 years ago.

B

BpTyrant

I dont think I will ever be "normal" which I don't really try to achieve anyways, but I do think i am better than I used to be, and that is good enough for me

Amorerose

Amorerose

I believe that people can improve themselves. The brain is highly plastic and capable of forming new connections (improving habits, coping mechanisms, emotional responses and your strengths etc). It takes time but it is possible and everyone has the ability to be their best selves. Mental illness may make you different and you may have to deal with other things that would not be problematic for some people but it's just a different type of life and it is still achievable to strengthen yourself. It starts with understanding yourself, your weakness, your strength and forming a way to function at the ability you feel is possible in the moment. It may be a slow start but finding that hope in yourself can be one of the hardest and most important parts.

It is definitely possible, as I have proof in myself over the years and what I have learned in general about psychology. :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m not so sure we can be cured but it does depend on your diagnosis. I’ve heard of people having just one psychotic episode and then never having another. So in that case it’s just a blip in the brain. But for most it’s either remission or coping on medication. I’ve been on meds most of my life but have good spells some lasting years when I could work. Although, I’ve never got over the anxiety I suffer that’s always there.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

is it known for people with depression bipolar anxiety etc etc etc , to recover and be able to function normally in society again? I have hopes for myself and always see my therapist and take my meds as directed
I think recovery isn't common, but it does happen. I have heard of people with Bipolar going into 'remission' for many years, even med-free.

The worst of my symptoms have been gone for about 11 years now. I doubt I will ever be 'normal' by society's standards, but I am grateful just to be more functional and able to leave the house and do ordinary everyday tasks that non-disabled people tend to take for granted.