• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do my parents exist?

F

firhi

I have come to this forum in a real time of need, I am a 16 year old girl and I am really going through a hard time at the moment, it's currently half past 12 am and I can't sleep due to anxiety. The source of my anxiety changes very often however the thing that is effecting me most at this moment is the thought that my parents don't exist. I rely heavily on my parents to calm me down from panic attacks and near panic attacks however I recently had an irrational thought that they are a figment of my imagination. I feel like they do not exist and I feel alone even if I am sat in a room with them. I know I am being irrational and I can think perfectly rational but I can't seem to hold those thoughts. The fact that I am feeling tired and spaced out doesn't help either. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced something like this. it's so horrible because I love my parents dearly and I just want to feel normal about them. Can any body help?

A

Asdir

everyone has an individual point of view - and this is mine. Not an expert, just thoughts I have. Hearing what you said it seems that possibly the great fear or anxiety might be not is do your parents exist in real life, but what would happen to you if they did not. Where would you be with the withdrawal of their support. It seems as if you need their control over your panic attacks. It seems a natural defense anxiety to recognise what you need and fear it being lost. So your mind makes you doubt their reality. It isn't that you don't love them that makes you feel this, it's a fear of how much you need them to be there.

What is making you so tired and spaced out? Can you share with your parents what you feel?

BORTU

BORTU

Hi there,

I agree with Asdir. Coming to grips with who you are can be unsettling. Best if you can talk it through with your parents.