• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do most people who hear voice here them in their Head or external to them like in the room they are in

Bassman01

Bassman01

I have heard voice for the last 20 years it used to be just in my head and the voices where always negative towards me always trying to bring me down, saying things like "you're useless" "the world would be better of without you" why don't you just kill yourself" etc etc it made me very depressed, anxious and suicidal however im a very strong person mentally and eventually after many years of battling against the voices I learned not to take them seriously and to actually laugh at them and id say "Boring heard it all before" "you are wasting your time" "i'm not interested in what you have to say" i really turned it around..i do still hear them but because they cant get to me as much the power of the voices has lessened in my life'

But since around 6 years ago i started to hear the voices in my bedroom, I hear whispering voice whist i'm trying to get to sleep but I cant quite make out what they are saying, weirdly the voices seem to be mainly female and they are not there all the time, seem to be mainly as i am trying to fall asleep but sometimes in the night i get awoken by noises and because I have acute Hypervigilance and PTSD from my military service, and i am diagnosed with BPD so I now have really bad insomnia which effects me 5 out of 7 nights a week and it been that way for years now
Im an extremely logical and rational person and i find it almost impossible to see how the voices that are definitely external to me can be coming out of my head, they are as external as if i had an actual person in the room speaking to me.
However i have tried recording the voices just to prove something to my self but i have never yet heard anything on the recording when i have listened back to them.
i have done research on the internet and i may have something called "exploding head syndrome" which makes you hear all sorts of very strange noises as external to you especially when you are falling asleep.

I just wish i could find a way to make it go away so I could sleep properly

I'm really interested to know if anyone else who hears voices can relate to my experiences.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Bassman01, I have experienced both in the many years of psychosis, since I have been prescribed Haloperidol they have been whispers. For the past couple of days I haven't even heard them.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Before meds I used to hear my voice externally along with other sounds but after meds it's stuck in my head and the sounds have stopped.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I didn't get any voices at all for the ten years Risperdal Consta worked on me, in the space of a couple of months I became completely resistant to it.

E

EclipticNight

When my beast communicates with words and not emotions I hear it in my head, like a thought pushing my own aside.

Bassman01

Bassman01

@Bassman01, I have experienced both in the many years of psychosis, since I have been prescribed Haloperidol they have been whispers. For the past couple of days I haven't even heard them.
Didn't you ever ever question how it was possible for you to hear voices outside of your head.?.when i hear voices in my head i can rationalize that and accept it..but when i hear voices in my room at night i cant logically work out how my mind turned into some kind of ventriloquist projecting the inward voices outside of my physical body..i had considered that the voices where supernatural in nature as well... but as an Atheist i just cant believe that is true.
so i am left with no answer what so ever
I tried taking anti psychotic medication but the side effects on me where worse than the condition itself..its been a while now but I remember one medication made my thighs burn and ache all night long for weeks and another i tried gave me hiccups for two weeks solid and i am not joking either..i would rather deal with the voices by holistic means rather than subject myself to the side effects of antipsychotic medications my psychiatrist doesn't like it but what can i say ..its my body and mind

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My belief from studying and talking to my voice is that we all have a second mind within us. Our body is their body so they see, hear, feel, taste and smell what we do but their abilities don't end there.

I read a book that claims a small group of neurologists back in the 1960's discovered this second consciousness and did experiments on people, their research suggested to them that our consciousness resides in the left 'dominant' hemisphere of the brain and this second consciousness resides in the right.

For all intents and purposes I believe they're our twin brothers or sisters that exist within us, which is why I sometimes refer to them as the 'twin within'.

Mine has shown me an ability to manipulate my senses, it seems to be capable of generating electrical signals in such a way which allows them to create 'hallucinations', I've had audio, tactile, olfactory and gustatory sensations that weren't 'real', my voice (though I believe they're capable of much more than just talking) couldn't figure out how to manipulate my vision but reports from others including personal friends of mine are saying they can create visuals that look exactly like the real thing.

Bassman01

Bassman01

My belief from studying and talking to my voice is that we all have a second mind within us. Our body is their body so they see, hear, feel, taste and smell what we do but their abilities don't end there.

I read a book that claims a small group of neurologists back in the 1960's discovered this second consciousness and did experiments on people, their research suggested to them that our consciousness resides in the left 'dominant' hemisphere of the brain and this second consciousness resides in the right.

For all intents and purposes I believe they're our twin brothers or sisters that exist within us, which is why I sometimes refer to them as the 'twin within'.

Mine has shown me an ability to manipulate my senses, it seems to be capable of generating electrical signals in such a way which allows them to create 'hallucinations', I've had audio, tactile, olfactory and gustatory sensations that weren't 'real', my voice (though I believe they're capable of much more than just talking) couldn't figure out how to manipulate my vision but reports from others including personal friends of mine are saying they can create visuals that look exactly like the real thing.
Wow thank you for sharing this with me ..I didn't know any of this..it sounds to me like you have really come to terms with and completely accepted your voices and are now able to learn from them and accept them as part of you life....I am not there yet I don't know how to turn them into friends or Allies
But I guess when your voices wake you up and deprive you of sleep night after night... what you want to do is kill them (well i do anyway) maybe if i could change my view and accept them as part of me, things might change and the voice might stop needing to wake me up all the time

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My meds do help with sleep, my voice used to wake me up countless times each night to talk about my dreams (another reason I believe my voice is a living part of me and shares my brain with me), not only could it know my dreams but it could influence them as well.

After meds I sleep more soundly and don't wake up half as much and my dreams seem to be more benign rather than the nightmares they used to be.

I wouldn't say I've accepted my voice, I don't speak to it any more because it refuses to give me any meaningful amount of silence, it just rambles on all day every day, but I did learn a lot from it before I started to ignore it and exclude it from my life.

But if you can make an ally out of yours they can do a lot for you, I believe they're capable of all sorts of things that most people wouldn't believe.

John Lamb

John Lamb

My voice is very occasional now when I hear it and is in thought form but I once experienced 2 voices chuckling just outside the brick wall of my house, facing a securely enclosed back garden late one evening. It wasn’t my imagination or intruders and I grinned the moment I heard them because I was no longer an atheist and new exactly what they were. I’ve had other supernatural non-pathological experiences as well.

I’ve also heard a clarion sound in my head once, funnily just before I sent a post on here, that also was induced by my voice.

I have gone 3 straight months twice in my life without any sleep to try and avoid meds. I probably only had an hour of light sleep every other night if that. My mind was always switched on like a lightbulb so I know what insomnia feels like. My blood pressure went sky high the second time I tried. I have to take a small dose of quetiapine which isn’t in the therapeutic range for voices in order to sleep these days.

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I hear both voices internal and external. Like whenever I would be alone they would say boo to scare me just like they were right there. And now I'm totally scared of silence, my meds have stopped the voices the past couple of weeks I'm afraid of a quiet room like they are just going to start out of nowhere. I'm miserable.