• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do most people have mental health problems?

jajingna

jajingna

It's a matter of degree, isn't it? It sounds so serious to say "mental illness," but how many really sane people do you know? And often whenever you get to know someone you realize what an oddball they are.

I guess it comes downs to functionality, as in being able to manage daily living. When you can't manage then you're ill for sure, but sometimes I suspect an awful lot of people are quietly struggling and suffering, going under the radar.

M

Marianda

@jajingna yes in fact there are many people who look " sane" but are internally trying to survive. People with mental illnesses who have to function to survive are great actors.

P

Purpleplum

There are a lot of high functioning people with MH problems.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I don’t think “most” people have mental health problems in the way serious mental health issues are defined for those being treated for them. Probably many more people experience psychological and emotional struggle that they could be in treatment for. Historically those diagnosed with a serious mental illness have been the proud and the few. I don’t see that being much different now.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, most would not be seriously troubled. Doesn't make sense to call the majority abnormal. But our normal seems shoddy to me. Like, society itself looks sick, and a sane and healthy person sometimes looks like an exception. Most can function OK, but they have adapted to a common sickness with all its stresses and maladies.

K

Keesha

Yeah, most would not be seriously troubled. Doesn't make sense to call the majority abnormal. But our normal seems shoddy to me. Like, society itself looks sick, and a sane and healthy person sometimes looks like an exception. Most can function OK, but they have adapted to a common sickness with all its stresses and maladies.
Normal is highly overrated! 🤪

JessisMe

JessisMe

Well who is normal? Where do you draw the line? Pretty difficult.
The line is drawn by the DSM:

losingme1989

losingme1989

The line is drawn by the DSM:

Disagree, some of the people i met on psych ward were far more 'sane' than people ive known in 'public life'

i'm crazy anyway so my view doesnt count for much :LOL:

A

Am27

Agree, with many comments here. Everyone have some level of MH issues. It got serious when they can’t control it.

A

Am33

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Its becoming more and more the number one illness. We all have have never been taught how to deal with it from a young age.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I've heard it said that it is the people in our lives who refuse to go to therapy who are the reason we must.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mr Oreo Bunny Are mental health problems related to other things?? Mental Health Experiences 2
W Why do people get mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 20
O Struggling to cope with mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 4
L mental health assessment Mental Health Experiences 2
Marrex My Mental Health Experiences Mental Health Experiences 1
T Mental health services are disappointing us Mental Health Experiences 13
D How long are mental health act assessments usually Mental Health Experiences 4
anex Grad school and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
Number 1 G Mental Health Psychiatrists & Home Care Or Other Area's Should Be Sued! Mental Health Experiences 1
S Seeing Duke In Mental Health With No Cure Mental Health Experiences 3
dovah1024 Combating work overload and mental health... Mental Health Experiences 13
T I think my mental health is making me physically sick. is that possible? Mental Health Experiences 2
A_Wilted_Daisy Eating, sleeping, and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
D Mental health scares people. Mental Health Experiences 23
A Work and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
mysteryloris Mental health professionals Mental Health Experiences 12
B What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 10
A Mental Health state of International Students in Australia Mental Health Experiences 1
L What I've learned about my mental health Mental Health Experiences 7
A what is mental health? lets scrap the stigma Mental Health Experiences 1
W Mental health care, Hard pill to swallow Mental Health Experiences 7
River of Circle guilt for having mental health issues and not disclosing them Mental Health Experiences 2
Lance__ Joker film - would you recommend it (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 15
W Coming out online about mental health Mental Health Experiences 8
R Why is it so hard to talk to people about mental health? Mental Health Experiences 12
D Trauma from mental health hospital Mental Health Experiences 13
H A dog has lowered my mental health symptoms Mental Health Experiences 6
H Starting to drink and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
U Why be open on mental health? Mental Health Experiences 13
Drawings_T Coming to terms with parents ignoring my mental health Mental Health Experiences 9
Anime-Alchemy My mental health and lying. Mental Health Experiences 1
Topcat Getting help for mental health during lockdown Mental Health Experiences 6
Mario82 This site is helping my mental health Mental Health Experiences 11
I Mental health discredited, has this happened to you too? Mental Health Experiences 14
American Boy How are you feeling right now? (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 2323
H Should we feel guilty for taking a Mental Health day from work Mental Health Experiences 3
carhartt How our environments affect mental health. Mental Health Experiences 2
I A mix of mental issues being 22 Mental Health Experiences 1
O Weird habits associated with mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 9
Ineedhelp2921 Dealing with mental illness Mental Health Experiences 1
S Is it gaslighting, or am I just more mental than I thought? Mental Health Experiences 19
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
R Are more people with mental illness single and poor? Mental Health Experiences 40
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
P Mental illness and work Mental Health Experiences 14
A partnership - mental harm service <- not my belief its my experience Mental Health Experiences 1
M Mental illness + long distance = difficult Mental Health Experiences 1
Storm in a Teacup Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 23
H Mental fatigue and Brainfog how to get rid of it? Mental Health Experiences 3