• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do medications really work for depression/anxiety

Jam1990

Jam1990

I’ve been struggling for so many years with anxiety, depression, and heavy paranoia and am getting tired of dealing with it so much. I already take risperidone which seems to help with my paranoia symptoms a bit, but my anxiety and depression is just still debilitating sometimes. I’m always very skeptical of new medication and I’m somewhat afraid to try new ones. I guess I’m wondering if it’s really worth trying and if the relief really is measurable.

D

Deleted member 91323

I tried different medications for years as I could not tolerate side effects. I finally found one that agrees with me. For me an antidepressant takes the edge of depression and keeps me stable. I believe is is worth trying until you find one that agrees with you.

W

WanderingA

Hey Ive been taking meds for anxiety for nearly 3 years now and though for the first month I struggled hard im definitely fwwling alot better. My anxiety has a few hiccups every few months if I don't stick to a strict routine but I'm doing alot better. I hate taking meds and I have depression too but I don't want to take meds for depression as I'm scared it'll make me feel out of it and I don't want that so I'm dealing with that my own way. For me I'd rather deal with the anxiety with meds and just live with the depression as I cannot cope with the physical symptoms of anxiety it makes me worse. Also remember it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to completely get used to new meds. Give it a go if it's not right at least u tried!! (I'm on propranolol)

Blooming

Blooming

I was sceptical to medications once. I have now used antidepressants for many years. I give my recommendation and my support (you have to be strong enough to let your GP find the right combo for you. It can take some time. Every antidepressant needs around six weeks to be able to work, patience...).

T

treasurebox

My medication works for me. It is really good to stick to it.

T

treasurebox

My medication works for me. It is really good to stick to it.

R

Rcristal

Because I suffer from a variety of autoimmune issues I am unable to tolerate any heavy meds. This includes antidepressants. Side affects are awful. While it is frustrating I do practice meditation, relaxation etc. I exercise, spend time in the sun and eat healthy.
Nonetheless, at 70 years of age and with other issues I am in a deep depression. This is pretty rough.

I still use the books of the legendary Australian Physician, Dr. Claire Weeks. She suggests:
1- Face the issue calmly
2- Accept what you are going through
3- Float, don't swim
4- Allow time to pass.

It has worked for me previously.

Best to all,

Rcristal

D

Deleted member 92692

I’ve been struggling for so many years with anxiety, depression, and heavy paranoia and am getting tired of dealing with it so much. I already take risperidone which seems to help with my paranoia symptoms a bit, but my anxiety and depression is just still debilitating sometimes. I’m always very skeptical of new medication and I’m somewhat afraid to try new ones. I guess I’m wondering if it’s really worth trying and if the relief really is measurable.
In my opinion the short answer is yes. If it was not for my meds im sure i would not be here to post this.

R

Rcristal

As I mentioned on another thread, I suffer from an autoimmune illness called " Sjogrens." And, there are multiple other health issues. You can't name a med I have not tried over the years. Simply too much for my system. Unfortunately this includes antidepressants.
For now I use small doses of Xanax, therapy, lots of meditation, exercise and a very healthy diet. As you know, it often takes forcing us to do these things and it gets old.

Here is to a better day for everyone.

Rcristal

Faith198

Faith198

Yes they do. Everyone is different though. You kind of have to search around for good meds. Just be up front to your psychiatrist about it so they can hopefully find a good fit for you. Without meds I wouldn’t even be taking care of myself rn

S

SvetlanaM

I had terrible treatment-resistant depression for years, meds didn't really work for me, but i heard from other patients that they work for some people. I'm 90% recovered now with the help of natural treatments. Here they are:
1. Supplements. NAC and omega-3 fatty acids helped me the most.

2. Diet change. I decreased the amount of omega-6 and increased the amount of omega-3 in my diet, i also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I eat spinach and eggs every day, i also drink bone broth every day.

3.Exercise 6 days a week.

4. Daily meditation

5. Light therapy . Either go outside or use a lightbox.

This regimen saved my life, it was far more effective than all of the doctor-prescribed treatments combined. I have a youtube channel called "Svetlana Minina", where I discuss all of these natural treatments in great detail, I'll be glad, if you visit.

ParxSP

ParxSP

I have found that meds alone aren't enough for me. They take the edge off but I couldn't survive without counseling/CBT therapy as it has taught me how to cope with my anxiety and depression.

R

Rcristal

Svetlana,

Bingo! I completely agree. And, you have basically outlined my life style. While I am battling autoimmune issues I live a very healthy lifestyle. I work out for one hour early each morning. I eat a mostly plant based diet, I meditate, I go for an additional walk in the afternoon, I try to nap etc. I eat baked wild Salmon twice per week. I go for car rides regularly during the pandemic. I guess I just had a weak moment and agreed to the Lexipro. One dose was plenty. I have had three bad days.

Depression and anxiety is tough at my age. I am really struggling. However, I have a large family and good friends. I continue to remind myself that I have a lot to live for.
I have a good therapist who is, also a friend. And, as I said elsewhere, I am a firm believer in Dr. Claire Weeks.

Face your depression
Acceptance
Float don't swim
Let time pass

I am so pleased I found this forum.

Best to all,

Rcristal

Blooming

Blooming

Hi Rcristal,

(...)
While I am battling autoimmune issues I live a very healthy lifestyle. I work out for one hour early each morning. I eat a mostly plant based diet, I meditate, I go for an additional walk in the afternoon, I try to nap etc. I eat baked wild Salmon twice per week. I go for car rides regularly during the pandemic. (...)

Face your depression
Acceptance
Float don't swim
Let time pass

(...)
You have some points. 1) Meds have to be adjusted to each individual (total individual),
2) Antidepressants often work best when they are combined with other tools. (I understand that with your physical illnesses, antidepressants are not a good alternative for you. You still do good work with your health ☺ ).

I am grateful for my antidepressants, but they will not do the job without my participation. In addition to my meds I use other techniques as well: Being clever to understand what tool to use, according to different triggers (inner and outer). Healthy food, daily routines, physical activity, meaningful activities, good social relations and to go to bed at almost the same time each night.

S

SvetlanaM

I just wish doctors would recommend natural treatments before prescribing medications... I had to go through years of endless meds, ECT and TMS, and after all of that failed i had to dig the information about natural treatments on the internet myself. Doctors have never mentioned anything natural to me, if they did, that would've saved me years of horrible suicidal suffering.