• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do I tell my roommate?

T

tronxx

I recently just moved into a college apartment with a roommate. Should I tell her that I am diagnosed bipolar?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome: I don't think i would.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I wouldn't tell her until you know her well.

N

Nukelavee

How "in control" of your behaviour are you? Like, are you noticeably "off", whether depressed or manic, much of the time?

On teh one hand, it's your personal business, so you don't actually have to say anything, but, if there is a chance you could add stress to things because of your disorder, you might want to tell her to avoid a scene later.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i would wait until you get to know her
she may have experience of MH issues either herself or with somebody else
i would wait a little while though just to be sure how she might respond
love Lu x

M

markprosso538

Agree with Nukelavee, I would say if you have been feeling stable and your meds are set, there may be no need to. If you're starting to feel like your mood is becoming more unstable maybe mention it in passing. Does she have an easygoing personality? If you think you jive with her and connect maybe tell her.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I am bipolar and I would tell her. You are both going to share an intimate space and she may bear witness to some of your manic behavior. Better to be honest now than have to explain later. If she is really interested she might be willing to know the signs and symptoms of you when manic and be able to let you know when you seem to be heading towards mania. That would be a stretch but I’m sure it’s something that has been done before.

T

tronxx

Agree with Nukelavee, I would say if you have been feeling stable and your meds are set, there may be no need to. If you're starting to feel like your mood is becoming more unstable maybe mention it in passing. Does she have an easygoing personality? If you think you jive with her and connect maybe tell her.
My moods have been more unstable lately and im currently not on meds so I might tell her in a few weeks when I feel more comfortable with doing so. So far we have a gotten along pretty well and she seems very chilled. I just dont want to ruin our friendship because of my disorder and my moods and I dont want her to hate me as a roommate so I hope telling her would make it easier to understand why I am the way I am sometimes.

M

markprosso538

good good, it will probably be helpful to you if she understands and could help you alot. I love being around grounded people to bring me back a little. Another thing I think I'd do if in your shoes maybe talk about mental illness in general with her, maybe she has a brother or mother or something with mental health problems? Her reaction could tell you more about her view on it. Good luck, keep us posted!

T

tronxx

It has been about two weeks and I have a feeling my roommate might be bipolar as well. I may have heard her say it but I didnt hear the context so I am not sure.

M

markprosso538

o gotcha, I'd say go for it then if you think she's bi polar also. I highly doubt she's going to throw you out or anything. The worst that can happen is she probably gets upset or a little uncomfortable, but it will work itself out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Bipolar Forum 5
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 28