Do I suffer from anxiety? Can you please help diagnose me

T

tenanxious

Hi all! I'm trying to determine whether my social anxiety is within the realm of normalcy, and whether or not I should seek help. Last summer I took on a part time job. My interview was with a super unintimidating woman whose little daughter was running around the room as we spoke. Although I was slightly blushing and uncomfortable, I made a normal enough impression that I was hired. Fast forward three days, I began my job and had to introduce myself to my coworkers. All normal looking, also unintimidating women around my age (I was 20, they were ranging from 22-25). They were all looking at me, smiling, asking polite questions to get to know me, and I suddenly felt my entire face flush beet red. My voice started to come out kind of choked, and I could see their expressions change from friendly interest to awkward pity. Two more people joined the office later that month, and both (one of whom was younger than me) introduced themselves comfortably. I like being friendly and outgoing, but I was too shy to go over to them first and say hi. I have plenty more examples I can bring. Sometimes my anxiety is worse than it is at other times. Depending on the context, the people I'm interacting with, and my mood, I can come across as confident or extremely awkward. Sometimes it's unpredictable. I think social prowess is key to so many things in life, and I don't know how to deal with my problem. I know it's minor compared to what some people on this forum go through on a daily basis, but it's so frustrating. Can anybody relate? Any advice for improving my social abilities? My mom casually recommends that I "get help," but I don't know what that means, where to start, or if it's even necessary.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It can be very difficult to work out whether your anxiety is normal, or whether you have developed an actually anxiety disorder, & that's when you need help. There are on-line anxiety disorder tests, I would recommend that as a start.

N

natalie

Hi Tenanxious,

Unfortunately we at MHF, cannot diagnose you. Your best bet, would be to see a doctor, or your family doctor if you have one, and report these findings of feelings of anxiety to the doctor.

If necessarily, the doctor can write up, medication suitable for you.

Can you listen to music, or watch music dvds, would that help?

Try exercising, walking, working out or playing a sport.

Your doctor can order/request a scan test, known as CT scan or MRI, which will show whether you have anxiety problems.

Good luck, best wishes, and do let us know how you manage to get on or not via your doctor.

Your mom is right though, to seek help in person via a doctor.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
When I’ve told people I have social anxiety they are usually surprised and say but you seem so confident. But it’s all an act. Inside I’m like jelly. They don’t know it could have taken me hours to pluck up courage to leave the house. I read somewhere that a lot of famous actors suffer anxiety but they become a different persona when acting as they become a character . And I think that’s a key to helping you overcome a situation that’s causing you pain.