• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do I really have depression? or is something else wrong?

L

loanshark

I was diagnosed with depression in April 2008 and have had a hard time ever since. I am on my 3rd medication with better results and side effects than the previous ones, but I am just not where I would like to be.

The part that bothers me most about my depression is the thoughts of harming others. When these thoughts intrude into my mind, I get an extreme case of nausea and anxiety sets in. I have done a lot of reading online about depression and nowhere can I find that thoughts of harming others is a symptom of depression. I have had most of the other listed symptoms for derpression though(feeling down, no energy, no appetite, weightloss, anxiety, memory and concentration issues)

Has anybody else experienced these feelings like you are going to harm another person which was related to depression? I am very disturbed by it and am worried my doctors have misdiagnosed me.

S

saffron

Hi
we cannot diagnose but depression and anxiety have many effects on different people.
In what circumstances do you feel like you want to hurt someone? are you just lashing out, frustrated about something or just angered by others?

it takes time to come to terms with a diagnosis and work out what is the best medication, each time you have a side effect let the doctor know, as one side affect could be antisocial based, who knows.

it also takes time to get where you want to be and maybe that is why you feel like hitting out.

also check out ocd as this can include unwanted thoughts and is related to anxiety disorders and depression.

being disturbed and worried about it will only add to the problem, so you should go and see your doctor again maybe.

take care
S

ps, your not really a loanshark are you.

L

loanshark

Thanks for the advice. It is true that it takes time to figure out a medication that works. I am on my 4th, just haven't found one that gets me back to 100%.

Thanks for the reply.

p.s. Im not actually a loan shark, but I do work for a finance company, sort of an inside joke at work.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mykalgreen95 Really struggling to keep on top of things Anxiety Forum 8
MrBond007 Really anxious that my PC will somehow break if I left it off for a while. Anxiety Forum 16
L I really need help Anxiety Forum 10
W really struggling lately (tw ED, drug use) Anxiety Forum 4
S so I made a mistake and now im having really bad anxiety Any tips? Anxiety Forum 3
C Advice I’m really anxious about this! Anxiety Forum 4
Hyena Im really struggling Anxiety Forum 12
eaglesandcycling I'm really struggling with focus/concentration/procrastination (I suppose this is all some type of anxiety) Anxiety Forum 3
K Really struggling with physical symptoms Anxiety Forum 6
Carol1952 Now I am really upset and anxious Anxiety Forum 12
I In a really bad terrible way Anxiety Forum 6
blog15 What anxiety really is? Anxiety Forum 1
elliepaige20 Does anyone else get really anxious over messaging/social media? Anxiety Forum 6
DMARXX Im now realizing ive got really bad GAD... Anxiety Forum 2
Carol1952 Am I a bad person because I yell so much?I feel really bad about it to. Anxiety Forum 2
I Really terrified (breakdown) Anxiety Forum 8
I Really worried Anxiety Forum 14
F Really anxious I just need to vent I think Anxiety Forum 7
A Really scared health scares choking issues Anxiety Forum 92
Carol1952 Having anxieties really bad over nothing how can that be? Anxiety Forum 4
C Reading through this forum really helped me Anxiety Forum 2
X Really loosing the plot! Anxiety Forum 2
A Really scared any tips Anxiety Forum 10
W Really Struggling... Anxiety Forum 17
R I could really do with some rational words rn... (TW) Anxiety Forum 4
B Im new here, but could really use some help right now.... Anxiety Forum 3
K Anxiety/Depression Out of Control Anxiety Forum 1
P Anxiety with side-salad of depression Anxiety Forum 4
W Anxiety, depression and ocd Anxiety Forum 3
N Anxiety and depression from being in a toxic relationship Anxiety Forum 5
B intrusive thoughts, depression, anxiety not coping Anxiety Forum 15
A Anxiety and depression are turning me into someone I don’t wanna be Anxiety Forum 6
J Feeling awful anxiety & depression Anxiety Forum 7
H Identity usurpation and depression Anxiety Forum 4
A Anxiety & Depression Anxiety Forum 3
Ineedhelp2921 Could The Pill be making my anxiety and depression worse? Anxiety Forum 5
J Vision disturbance with Anxiety/depression Anxiety Forum 3
K Having mixed depression and anxiety, panic attacks as well, my life is falling apart Anxiety Forum 17
D Anxiety, Depression, and SSI Anxiety Forum 1
Carol1952 Anxieties with depression Anxiety Forum 2
L Anxiety and Depression Anxiety Forum 6
Carol1952 Anxieties and depression Anxiety Forum 10
BLUESTAR009 If one has super continuous depression and stress for exactly a month can that damage to collagen so that one appears older in the face? Anxiety Forum 5
M My depression is taking over today. Anxiety Forum 11
D Anxiety, maybe depression? Anxiety Forum 1
R Hello I am rodds have anxiety depression all life Anxiety Forum 1
G How you guys cope with anxiety/depression at work? Anxiety Forum 21
midnightphoenix i keep thinking something bad will happen Anxiety Forum 20
U Something big is coming... Anxiety Forum 8
B Fed up wondering about trying to do something about it Anxiety Forum 3