• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do I need to know why I self harm in order to stop?

J

Jamalam420

Recently I’ve been wracking my brain as to the reason for my self harming, but even when I think about it I feel it could be any number of reasons.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I think to know why is probably the best way to be able to stop..how do you feel when you tend to do it? Do you feel frantic and antsy or sad or calm? How do you feel after, relieved? Guilty? Euphoric?

J

Jamalam420

That’s the thing, my feelings are usually so strong when I am self harming that I struggle to understand what it is I’m feeling and why. I think the main feeling I have is needing to be able to control something in my life, the pain I inflict on myself seems to be the only control I have in my life, I feel relieved after, then guilt and shame

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

There's not always an explanation for everything we do with our illness. It's a dangerous line. Our illnesses can make us do some not nice things to ourselves and others. Overcoming it isnt easy either. But the struggle can be stopped yes, by looking inside our own conscious or subconscious. I could be wrong, but that's the only way I believe helps. Self harm can be habit forming too, especially without knowing why. Just acceptance helped me stop a few times. Without rhyme or reason it can come up again and hook us with addiction, neediness, or pressure. Oh and it's never perfect when we stop. But what I found could be helpful is our memories!