Do i need a counsellor?

Grape

Grape

I'm in two minds. It's expensive but is it worth it? Should i just rely on the samaritans? Are they just as good and anonymous too which is good. I just can't make my mind up. It's £15 per hour so pretty cheap, and she is experienced.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

I'm in two minds. It's expensive but is it worth it? Should i just rely on the samaritans? Are they just as good and anonymous too which is good. I just can't make my mind up. It's £15 per hour so pretty cheap, and she is experienced.

Only you can make your mind up

but

if it was me i would go for it

xxx

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If I had the opportunity I would go for it. The Samaritans are not really trained to do anything much apart from listen and try and be supportive.

Grape

Grape

It's quite rare isn't it that you get a samaritan that is excellent and provides feedback. They usually just listen and then at the end say please call back if you need to or can we call you back later.

I'm worried about losing my privacy but i like that she is experienced. It's person centred counselling which i've always thought a bit wishy washy. Not sure. I also feel sometimes like i have family to talk to so do i need a professional. And then i think i've been through so much i need to talk. If it were free i'd jump at it but i'm worried about money. I'm pretty broke. But £15 is cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

She is also a gestalt therapist and i've just googled that. It looks good. She isn't a trainee either which is a bonus. I might give her a go. I can always change my mind at any point.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think Samaritans are not really allowed to give feedback as such. And it does depend on who you get as well. With the counselling though, you could maybe try a few sessions and see if you are getting somewhere or finding it helpful? I know things can't be resolved in a few sessions but you might get a sense of if it is going to be helpful and how the relationship with the counsellor is.

Person centred, I dunno I think that means they are focused on you rather than trying to get you to fit their theories like CBT does (sorry not a fan of CBT).

You have been really low for a while, maybe having that space to talk would really help. I know £15 is a lot when you don't have much money though, but would be a nice gift for yourself, a loving thing to do (if it's not going to cause too much stress financially)

Thats just my opinion anyway, but up to you. As for losing privacy, well it is confidential.

pepecat

pepecat

Why not go along for the assessment and see how you get on? You might not like her, or she might say she can't help you, or isn't experienced enough for you..... the assessment isn't just about whether you get on with her; it's also a chance to see if she'd get on with you.
And if you like her, and could work with her, then you could think about going longer. If not, then you don't have to see her again.

I had person centered counselling a few years back and I found it pretty good - it's not as wishy washy as some people think - though it does depend a lot on the counsellor of course.

Grape

Grape

Thank you x
I do like the sound of this gestalt therapy, she is both that and person centred. It does sound like it might be useful. I suppose i should think i have struggled so much lately psychologically and so should spend this money on myself. I might only go for about 6 weeks. I am going to try not to calculate how much that will be grrrrrrr no no no. £15 isn't much. She might be very helpful. I will see. The appointment isn't for a couple of weeks yet.