• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do I have social anxiety or am I just extremely shy?

K

karl7

Currently, I live in complete isolation. I don't have any friends here and I don't know how to make them. All my life I have struggled to make friends. The thought of speaking to others scares me. When people talk to me, I just give them the most generic or awkward responses (I lack any personality) and I feel an urge to get away from them. I am afraid of starting conversations partially because I don't know what I would say or if the other person even cares and I just feel anxious for reasons that I don't even understand. The worst feeling is when I try to talk to someone and just get ignored. This alone has discouraged me from speaking to others.

I remember a long time ago I gained the courage to try to reach out to someone and make friends with them. After talking with them a bit in class, I decided to sit by them during our lunch break. They gave me a weird stare and I felt very rejected. This made me feel horrible and I never tried anything like that again. Now even considering doing something like that gives me anxiety and it feels like an impossible task.

Maybe an explanation of the difference between the two would help.
You should ask your mental health team if there are socialanxiety courses out there that can help. Also i go on a forum which i find helpful for social anxiety and its www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum i find it helpful

also have you ever considered joining a mental health club....these are places mentally ill folk can go to participate in art creative writing, health management or group therapy to name but a few activities or else just have a coffee......there u will meet nice humble, understanding pepole who have been through it.....id look it up, ask your mental haelth team......having social anxiety would qualify you for membership and if not you can just say you have depression aswell

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Failure inspires winners. And failure defeats losers. It is the biggest secret of winners. People who avoid failure also avoid success. There is no chance of success without a chance of failure. Every failure is a lesson. If you are not willing to fail, you are not ready to succeed.
if you want something bad enough your willing to look stupid to get it

i wanted to solve philosophy, so i had to get used to getting my beliefs destroyed. eventually i fell in love with that pain. i got addicted to it. which always leads to eventually destroying yourself. the final belief that is almost impossible to fully destroy. people devote their whole lives to trying

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Suffering from social anxiety, depression and extremely lonely, please help Social Anxiety Forum 9
D Made a video on best ways I've learned to defeat social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 2
Sam1305 Do i even have social anxiety ? Social Anxiety Forum 12
W Overcoming GAD & Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 4
OCDguy Beating Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 10
T Anybody have advice on how to overcome social anxiety??? Social Anxiety Forum 5
T Social anxiety is crippling Social Anxiety Forum 10
L Social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 8
U Social anxiety and accommodation Social Anxiety Forum 4
A How can I help my friend overcome his social anxiety? Social Anxiety Forum 7
KyussEatsTheSun Social Anxiety - Overcoming Phobias Concept Social Anxiety Forum 4
jajingna Recognizing social anxiety in other people Social Anxiety Forum 8
B Is social anxiety ever really gone? Social Anxiety Forum 45
Talina social anxiety and low self-esteem, I’m slowly getting tired of it Social Anxiety Forum 16
B My social anxiety revelation Social Anxiety Forum 2
O I think I might have social anxiety and/or depression. Social Anxiety Forum 7
A Social anxiety and depression Social Anxiety Forum 1
D I can’t eat in my own house because of social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 6
D Social anxiety controls my life and it makes me so depressed. Social Anxiety Forum 13
UpnDwn1978 Social anxiety at work Social Anxiety Forum 10
A Social anxiety heavily crippled my life and still do. Social Anxiety Forum 10
S Social anxiety is running my life Social Anxiety Forum 8
OCDguy Causes of Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 5
L Gaming with social anxiety sucks when it comes to talking on mic Social Anxiety Forum 10
C Introversion vs. Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
J I've severe social anxiety because I feel like everyone is judging me and bitching me in the back. Social Anxiety Forum 5
L Social Anxiety Barriers Social Anxiety Forum 5
Mosswar New to Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
sad_heart20 my social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 9
R Social anxiety/paranoia Social Anxiety Forum 14
I improv for social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 4
D social phobia combined with extreme shyness Social Anxiety Forum 21
B Bad social skills Social Anxiety Forum 3
D Is it bad for me to obsess over improving how I sound and how I act in social situations or do I need to stop overthinking so much? Social Anxiety Forum 9
JustinS1998 Question About Social Interaction Social Anxiety Forum 29
N Social media Social Anxiety Forum 9
R Minor issues with my social flatmate - help! Social Anxiety Forum 5
hicks Do you find anxiety suppresses your sense of humour? Social Anxiety Forum 6
C autism, anxiety, stuck Social Anxiety Forum 9
F Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 9
L I need a job, but my anxiety won't let me Social Anxiety Forum 4
I Questions about the efficacy of medications in treating anxiety disorder Social Anxiety Forum 4
W Anxiety about the current lockdown ending Social Anxiety Forum 6
KyussEatsTheSun Does anxiety mask your true intelligence/wisdom? Social Anxiety Forum 13
Oden Extremely shy friend Social Anxiety Forum 3