• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do i have schizoohrenia?

T

Trentjet

I am 34 y old man.I have been jobless for most of the past.I have severe social anxiety ,I talk to myself a lot in ,thoughts randomly comes in to my mind all the time.I have mild disordeed thinking which is sz thing I know.but I don't have hallucinations and delusions ,not single one so far .my doctor don't tell me my diagnosis which is common in India.but once he told me that schizophrenic has to take medicine for life .do you think I have schizophrenia? any help is aprriciated.thanks.

T

Trentjet

I frequently lost in thought. I sometimes laugh and speak to myself when I am alone.

K

karl7

I am 34 y old man.I have been jobless for most of the past.I have severe social anxiety ,I talk to myself a lot in ,thoughts randomly comes in to my mind all the time.I have mild disordeed thinking which is sz thing I know.but I don't have hallucinations and delusions ,not single one so far .my doctor don't tell me my diagnosis which is common in India.but once he told me that schizophrenic has to take medicine for life .do you think I have schizophrenia? any help is aprriciated.thanks.
personally i dont think you have schizophrenia as you said you dont have delusions or hallucinations

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
People may think I'm actively psychotic or schizophrenic (although I was only diagnosed with psychosis and that was in 2016) but I have a belief that I've put together from hearing and talking to a voice in my head that isn't my own for nearly five years.

My belief is that all humans have another consciousness that shares our body with us, two minds occupying the one body, this mind would be like a passenger in your body, we do the driving and they come along for the ride (some misbehave which is what I believe my psychosis was about), so I believe you're not talking to yourself but to your passenger.

Since my voice and I share the same headspace he can put images, thoughts and impulses to do things in my mind and before I was aware of him I totally believed these were all my own and that I was singular being.

I read a book that claims a small group of neurologists back in the 1960's discovered that this other mind resides in the right hemisphere of the brain whilst our consciousness resides in the left hemisphere and it goes on to explain the way they discovered this which is a bit of a long story.

So I don't personally believe people who hear voices or talk to themselves are mentally ill.

one light

one light

I talk to myself and answer myself back, as in 'well done lad' - and I talk to the birds, I have a tame crow, very spiritual crows are, well people talk to their dogs and cats don't they - but I know who I am, as in the 'self' - its different of course if you have thought intrusion, that needs attending to with help on here or locally, from people who know what to do...

vangoghs

vangoghs

It doesn't sound like you have schizophrenia to me, but I'm not a medical professional.

I have schizophrenia and I have never taken medication for it, nor do I plan on doing so in the future. Schizophrenics do not have to take medication for life. There are other options.

F

Faceplant

The DSM is the manual used my psychiatrists to define all the mental illnesses known to psychiatry. That website I linked to shows the criteria for schizophrenia. The current version of the DSM is version 5, so ignore the DSM-IV column. If you you meet 2 or more of the criteria listed in the DSM-5 category and those symptoms have lasted more than a month there is a chance you may have schizophrenia.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fluffpill

It doesn't sound like you have schizophrenia to me, but I'm not a medical professional.

I have schizophrenia and I have never taken medication for it, nor do I plan on doing so in the future. Schizophrenics do not have to take medication for life. There are other options.
did you ever have psychosis?

ht46

ht46

What you're experiencing sounds a little like what I experienced before I became psychotic like talking to myself but lots of people experience this without becoming psychotic. You will most likely be talking to a psychiatrist instead of a GP if you show symptoms of psychosis and even then you need to have multiple episodes over the course 6months to a year before they diagnose with schizophrenia. I think your safe just avoid drugs and traumatic experiences which is harder said than done.

L

Lab rat

To me, it sounds like anxiety, but I’m not a doctor so you can take sod all notice of that opinion. Only a doc can diagnose. If you’re 34 and never held a job, I would wonder why? Is it because of your mental health? Or is there something else at play? I’m a big believer in the devil finds work for idle hands. How do you fill your time? If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be?

T

Trentjet

I have severe fear of people and society. So I didn't do any job.I spent my inside home most time.life is mess.
If I could have any job ,it would be related to nature.