• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do I have PTSD? Please help!

lizard56

lizard56

I’m 31 now. When I was 18, I was in a horrible car accident. After that I was scared to be in a car or a car that would go fast. When I was 21, it suddenly hit me, my first panic attack that sent me to the hospital. Til this day, I can’t be in a car that goes fast, I drive slow and try to be a cautious driver. If my boyfriend goes over 75 mph, I’m already freaking out telling him to stop. I’m constantly checking how fast he’s going. There’s times when I can be perfectly fine, I start to think about all the bad things that can happen while being on the road and then I start getting a panic attack while driving so I have to call my boyfriend or a family member to be on the phone with me while I make it home safe.

Thank you in advance for your answers. Xoxo

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
There is psychological treatment you can have to help with trauma related anxiety or panic attacks. From my understanding, it is mostly about talking reasonably about this and trying to remove the panic from a normal event, driving.

Driving makes many people nervous and nobody likes to go fast, but if it causes a panic attack each time, then you might need help with that from a psychologist.