• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do i have OCD?

B

bigkev94

Although I've never been formerly diagnosed with ocd, I believe I do have some symptoms/signs. I have a "counting" obsession. Also have obsession with routine. I do certain things with pieces of my everyday existence.

First, I want to talk about my "counting" obsession. Whenever I hear or see a word or phrase, I count the number of letters in each word. Then, lets say the word has more than one of a letter. Such as "little" it has six letters. And then I count the number of letters between the two L's. Which would be 3. I add the number of letters in the word and the number of letters between the L's. Which would be 9. And for some reason, I count the number of letters between the I's and T's. In the word "little" there wouldn't be any, so I'd put a 0 for the I and T and a 0 for the T and T. So the whole number would be 900. I then take that number and add it. Since the zero isn't make a difference in the number I count that it takes up a space. Just as u do with the 9. So I add 9+1+1+1 and its 12. I then add that together 2+1+1 which is 4. I then add another 1 for the space the number 4 takes up. And the number for the word "little" is 5. This happens constantly all day everyday. No matter where I am or what I'm doing. It even happened while I was in school (I'm 21 now). It distracts me from conversations and anything else I'm doing.

Now I would like to talk about my other obsessions. I have certain routines throughout the day. When I shower, I have a routine about how I wash my body. When I dry off I have a routine. How I dress and undress is a routine. When I drink something with a label on it, I have to take a drink when the middle of the label is at my lips. When I'm sitting I have to have my pants and shirt straight. No wrinkles can be there or I'll keep straightening them until they are straight. When I go to bed, I have a certain routine about when I toss and turn in bed. I have to roll a certain direction or I dont feel right.

Everything I've said here, if I don't do it right, I feel weird. I know it feels like I have ocd like symptoms, but never been formerly diagnosed. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time for reading my post :)

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

sorry i dont feel well enough to read your post right now but :welcome: to the forum i hope you get some great advise soon xx

D

Dreamer818

Hello Bigkev94,
If you think you have OCD you should go and talk to your Doctor about it then he/she will be able to assess you and suggest the best way to deal with it.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
like dreamer818 said i would see your GP. that counting thing sound like it would take up a lot of time and be very annoying to live with.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Hi there, glad you have found this forum. As others have said, important you have a proper professional diagnosis.
Plus keep posting on here of course

B

bigkev94

like dreamer818 said i would see your GP. that counting thing sound like it would take up a lot of time and be very annoying to live with.
Believe me it is. It takes up the majority of my time to be honest. On top of the counting thing, I also tap my feet constantly. And whatever I have in my hand I have to drum with it. That is constant as well. I have no idea what's causing this. But I am afraid of going to the doctor because he might actually say that I do have OCD. I don't like knowing I have something wrong with me. That's also a stressor as well I guess.

D

Dreamer818

I have OCD and I know how frustrating and exhausting it can be. I didn't want to go to the Doctor either, but once I had been, I wished I'd of done it sooner :)