• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Do I Have OCD or Just Overthinking?

M

messymess379

Hello Everyone. New to this forum thing but I just wanted to voice out what I'm feeling and what I think.

Lately, I've been researching about OCD, its symptoms and took some online tests that I know are not supposed to be used to diagnose oneself but anyhow, I found out that all tests have the same result and that they say I have Mild OCD. I began to dig deeper into the topic and found some similarities. I have this feeling of uneasiness but at the same time, when I try to tell myself that I'm just overthinking, I feel like a part of me isn't convinced about it. I tried to ignore it but still, my mind wanders back to OCD and clearly, I'm bothered by it. I'm still 19 years old and I really want to seek a psychologist but I don't know how to tell my parents. Also, every time I'm feeling bold to tell them, thoughts linger on my mind like: What if I'm wrong about it? What if I should research more? What if I should take more tests online?

I've taken an online test over and over and over again even if it is the same test and I don't know why I still try to do it over again when I know that the result remains the same. Also, I've mentioned that I began to read about OCD and so I decided that as I read, I list down some of the things I do that are similar to OCD obsessions and compulsions. Here's what I got...

I am constantly checking my body for any harm and when small things happen or when I feel like something's wrong, I take online tests. Fear that my intrusive thoughts will remain there and never stop. Trying everything I can to avoid my thoughts through multiple distractions. Avoiding images/objects/stuff that may trigger my obsessive thinking. Thinking deeply about why I'm having these thoughts, their causes and how are they in me. Overly assuming people are judging me or have negative thoughts about me even without proof. Overly trying to figure what people think about me
Overly thinking how someone would respond/react to me. Desperately try to read someone's mind to at least lower my anxiety.
Obsessively trying to remember/replaying situations, circumstances and conversations and needing to remember them. Need for things to be perfect. Rereading, rewriting or rechecking to ensure perfection. Desperately attempting to do perfectly in school. Overly thinking about my relationship with friends or family. Desperately, finding a way to seek reassurance. Overly worried about my impact, my actions and how I'd be responsible for others.. Obsessively checking people's actions and reactions towards me to check their comfortability around me. Collecting junks others might throw. Somehow needing things to be symmetrical. Obsessive thinking leads to distress. Fear of mistakes. Fear of losing control and harming others. Sometimes, some scenarios play in my head when I am holding something. For example, when I am holding a bottle, a scenario of me hitting the bottle to someone's head plays in my mind and quickly put what I'm holding away or just gulp and tell myself to calm down.

To be honest, I don't even know if you call these obsessions or me just overthinking stuff. Still, I feel very guilty about these thoughts and they lead me to depression sometimes.

So, I decided to get to this forum and I'm sorry for bothering you if ever. I know that not all of you or maybe none here's a professional psychologist or what but your advice or thoughts about this would really help me. Therefore, should I visit a psychologist or am I just overthinking about these?

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Why don't you tell your parents the truth and consult a psychiatrist?