• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do I have depression

A

Axnit

Having been in work continuously since I was 14, I have now been unemployed for a year. I'm increasingly distracted by negative thoughts, which is obviously not fun, but not qualitatively different from transient sadness in the way I have heard depression described.

Recently I have come to realize that not only do I feel frequently negative, but I don't feel that I want to fix it. That seems new. Is that depression?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Axnit. Welcome to the forum. You could be depressed. The first step would be talking to your doctor. Tell them how you feel so you can get support.

M

MouthyOne

Being out work and out of a routine can lead to more negative thoughts

Loss of earnings, not being around others as much while not having to get up for work is a change that most would find difficult.

You could also be stuck in a rut.

T

treasurebox

Doing what you love to do helps. What are you good at? Is it writing, baking, cooking, doing arts and crafts, gardening? Do it. It will bring you happiness and eventually success.

Do a music therapy too. Listen to good and uplifting music on youtube.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Having been in work continuously since I was 14, I have now been unemployed for a year. I'm increasingly distracted by negative thoughts, which is obviously not fun, but not qualitatively different from transient sadness in the way I have heard depression described.

Recently I have come to realize that not only do I feel frequently negative, but I don't feel that I want to fix it. That seems new. Is that depression?
Hi there,

How would you feel if you were offered work again?

P

Purpleplum

It kind of sounds like lack of energy and motivation which is a sign of depression so sorta sounds like a step further in the depression you previously had.