• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

do i have bpd?

D

deobeom

for a while i have been looking for a label for the way i feel, and i never found anything. but bpd seems to match what im going through. i dont want to self diagnose but im scared to ask for a diagnosis too. but my mom has noticed my anger outburts and the way i lash out. i feel like i need to get a diagnosis and get help soon because they keep on getting worse and i feel like i might hurt my brother

P

Purpleplum

Just having angry outbursts isn't enough to get a diagnosis of bpd.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

Why are you afraid of getting a diagnosis?

D

dewey

for a while i have been looking for a label for the way i feel, and i never found anything. but bpd seems to match what im going through. i dont want to self diagnose but im scared to ask for a diagnosis too. but my mom has noticed my anger outburts and the way i lash out. i feel like i need to get a diagnosis and get help soon because they keep on getting worse and i feel like i might hurt my brother
Hey there,

As you would see through ressearch, BPD is a very specific disorder which has a number of criteria relating to it.

Have a thorough read of the below.
See: Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) - HelpGuide.org
and Borderline personality disorder

Having a 'label ' is not particularly helpful in itself, what diagnosis is helpful for is finding the right kinds of treatments so YOU as an individual can feel better

W

WhySoSerious

To actually meet the criteria (if done properly) is actually quite hard. I think the term gets thrown around way too much in psychiatric circles.

I sometimes wonder whether we want to think something is wrong to avoid the fact life is shit and is filled with suffering. If something is wrong with us we can get it fixed - ergo life can be more tolerable.

I would say a diagnosis can bring huge amounts of stigma - professionals in particular can be very dismissive and "client blaming" when faced with someone with a BPD diagnosis. At the same time if you DO have it then you may be able to get treatment. In the UK its a really high bar to get a DBT program and not something accessed easily. Just be aware that even if you get the diagnosis there may be little out there to "fix" or manage the problem.

Once again good luck!

W

WhySoSerious

Anger in itself isn't the only defining feature.

To get a diagnosis you need to meet at least ?5 of the criteria. That isn't just saying you have it. A psychologist (if diagnosing right) will ask for multiple examples of instances when the symptom presented over a period of years (not just year or two). There has to be problems across many contexts for at least 5 years. For example, you may have problems with asserting yourself in one context but not others - that isn't enough. It needs to be a problem with generalising skills over different situations.

Also stuff like self-harming isn't an automatic diagnosis despite the fact some professionals seem to think that is the case.

Just some info re: diagnosis.