• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

DO I HAVE ANXIETY OR SOMETHING ELSE??

A

ALLNMYHEAD

I will try to keep this as short as possible even though I could write a novel about what i am going through.

I am a 42 year old male. About 12 years ago I started having a sensation that my heart was skipping beats and it was keeping me up all night (palpitations). Went to Doc and he did EKG and said all was good and put me on a 24 hour heart monitor. Some tachycardia was noted but that was about it. Went to Cardiologist for stress test and once again nothing serious was found. He prescribed 25mg Atenolol just to see how I would respond and after taking one pill I had my life back. All was great for 12 years until about a month ago.

About a month ago I started noticing more palpitations and noticed my blood pressure and pulse were going down over the last few months leading up to this and attributed that to the fact I had weaned myself off of caffine and fast food. I felt the atenolol was making my blood pressure and pulse to low so I started taking half a pill but that didnt seem to help. Then one day the wheels just fell off. I started having MASSIVE palpitations and pounding in my chest. Came within a hair of going to the ER and I have never done that in my life. This lasted about 2 sleepless weeks before I went to see my Doc. By then the massive palpitations had subsided but I still couldnt sleep. He prescribed Xanax to help with the possibility of anxiety and to get me some sleep and set me up an appointment with a Cardiologist.

Have been taking the Xanax for almost 2 weeks and it does seem to help me get a few hours sleep but its still super hard to fall asleep. The biggest problem I am having is when I close my eyes I get these electrical like power surges in my brain that keep me from falling asleep. This was happing before the Xanax but I thought the heart issues and power surges in my head were related. Since the palpitations have subsided but the power surges havent I am very concerned. The Xanax has kinda muffled the power surges a bit and in my opinion has saved my life at this point by allowing to at least get a little sleep. Prior to the Xanax I had 2 nights where I never fell asleep at all and that was brutal!

I have always worried about everything all my life but it has never come to this. I almost feel like I dont need a cardiologist anymore and need some sort of brain doctor. Am currently 1 week into wearing a 2 week heart monitor but I am sure its just picking up a stray palpitation here and there but I have had those all my life.

I am at a cross roads here. When this all started anxiety was not even a consideration but now I thinking it might be.

Anyone have these little power surges in their head when they try to sleep? I am so tired beyond belief but cant go to sleep because of this. Does this sound like anxiety to you? HELP!!

H

hairybanana

Is it possible it’s a side effect of the new medication?

I had brain zaps on the high dose of my AD’s and will still get them if I forget to take meds

Not to send you into overdrive, but my father has been very unwell with heart conditions (but also many other health concerns) and he has just started experiencing these brain zaps just as you’ve described too. My brother went to google doctor and it is a possibility it’s a symptom of angina. But this is only what he found on google and my Dad hasn’t been back to his cardiologist as yet to discuss the new development.

Whether it’s related to anxiety or not, you should investigate it further. But keep in mind if it’s a new development it may just be a side effect of new medication

A

ALLNMYHEAD

Thanks for the quick response.

No this started the same time the major palpitations started a few weeks ago before the Xanax and I thought the two were related in some way. The palpitations have become a non issue but the brain surges, power flashes, brain zaps or whatever they are called have not subsided. They do become less intense when I take the Xanax at bed time but they are still there.

I have a echocardiogram coming up in 2 weeks or so and if I can make it that long I am going to get his take on it. What i would really like to do is run to the ER and get it checked out but dont have the money for something like that. I do have insurance but its terrible insurance.

I have done tons of reading online and there are alot of people that have my exact symptoms but they never follow up with what the doctors told them.

H

hairybanana

That’s rough man, wish you could go get it checked at ER. Not like that here in Aus, don’t think I’ve ever paid out of pocket for anything at Hospital.

Just going to have to take her easy for the next couple weeks and perhaps try to put your energy into relaxation exercises. Interesting the meds seem to have an affect on it. I hope you get some answers soon

Siegfried

Siegfried

It does seem like you suffer from at least a little anxiety but in a life time of suffering from it and meeting others who also suffer from it I've never come across any symptoms that sounded like "... electrical like power surges...".

But then again anxiety can produce some wild and strange issues.

Buff Schmoltler

Buff Schmoltler

Electrolytes have a large effect on nerve transmission.

A

ALLNMYHEAD

Electrolytes were one of my first thoughts. I work outside all day long in the heat and sweat non-stop. I am well aware of the dangers of dehydration and low electrolytes so I make sure I drink plenty of Gatoraid. After this started I even went so far as to drink a bottle of Pedialyte near the end of each day just to make sure I wasnt low on electrolytes.

A

ALLNMYHEAD

I have done many hours of reading since I started this thread and have found countless more people with the exact same symptoms as me. Most of them have one thing in common and that is they are coming off of anxiety meds. In my case I wasnt on any anxiety meds when it started but found several people just like me that were not either. The general consensus is its anxiety and nothing serious like MS or Lymes, tumor, etc. Of course there is no way to rule that out without testing and scans but a huge majority of the stuff I am reading points to anxiety even without withdrawing from anxiety meds.

Hopefully someone else experiencing these symptoms will find this thread and find comfort in it. Never thought I would see the day that someone like me would find themselves on anxiety meds but its sure looking like a real possibility at this point.

I will talk to my Doc about it next time I see him and will update this with any new information.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I'd advise, in the future, never to google symptoms of any illness. It is not always accurate, always gives the worst case, and makes you feel worse. Post on this forum, and go and see a doc if something is botherung you

A

ALLNMYHEAD

Just a short update:

I couldnt take it anymore so I have an appointment for tomorrow. Been under an incredible amount of stress the last few days and 0-3 hours sleep each night for the last month has caught up with me. At this point I dont even care what the problem is, I just want to SLEEP!!!! We can deal with whatever the issue is when I wake up.

H

hairybanana

Just a short update:

I couldnt take it anymore so I have an appointment for tomorrow. Been under an incredible amount of stress the last few days and 0-3 hours sleep each night for the last month has caught up with me. At this point I dont even care what the problem is, I just want to SLEEP!!!! We can deal with whatever the issue is when I wake up.
Good onya mate, hope you get some relief here soon

A

ALLNMYHEAD

Update:

Talked to Doc about symptoms. I could tell he was concerned but not to the point he was ready to send me to a neurologist. He prescribed two different meds (one for headache type stuff and the other for sleep). We will see how this goes starting tonight.