• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Do I have an eating disorder?

C

ConnorHappy

Hello people,

I want some opinions on a personal matter.

I'm 24 and for most of my life I was always slim and very active until I was about 19 or 20 I became an alcoholic and used to drink and eat excessively without doing any exercise and I was unemployed so naturally over time I put on weight. I'm 5'10 and I weighed more than I was happy with until about February this year. At that point one of my friends told me that he didn't even recognise me anymore so I decided to change my lifestyle and I stopped drinking beer, eating bad foods e.g. takeaways, processed crap, etc, and I got a physically demanding job and started to do exercise a few times a week. Consequently I lost weight and I weighed myself a couple of weeks ago and I had lost a considerable amount of weight. I feel in much better shape and very healthy, but my girlfriend told me that she thinks I've developed an eating disorder. Really? I think it's because she was used to seeing me as overweight and I'm now lighter than I was when we first got together.

I eat three meals a day - breakfast, dinner and tea. But, I eat healthy foods now e.g. porridge, Weetabix, salad, fish, lean meat, etc. I eat much smaller portions than I did and I feel full. I don't find food from McDonald's, Burger King or any other fast food appealing anymore. I do still eat a takeaway maybe once every couple of months and not every other day like before!

I exercise three or four times a week - I walk on a daily basis, but I either go for a long walk or a bike ride a few times a week. My job is also very physically demanding most of the time.

I drink once or twice a week. I'll have a few bottles of different ales on a weekend and watch a film with my girlfriend and sometimes I'll go out with a few friends and have a few beers. Bearing in mind that the latter is not the case at the moment for obvious reasons.

My girlfriend thinks that I'm not eating enough food and that I should put back on weight! But, my friends and my family think I look really well and lean. I look nothing like someone who has anorexia, but I'm just more careful with what I eat and I think it's important to keep an active lifestyle.

My girlfriend has put on weight since we first met. When we first met she was a size 10 and now she's a size 14 or 16. My mother thinks that she is envious of me and probably feels insecure because she and I look so different physically now. My mother doesn't mean it in a bad way, but rather that my girlfriend probably doesn't like the fat that I've lost a lot of weight and she has put on weight. My friends all tell me that I look really well and nice and slim.

Who do you think is right, my mother or my girlfriend?

I don't believe that I have a disorder because I watch what I eat and I like to do exercise a few times a week. I'm not weighing myself every few hours or refusing to eat food. The only thing I can state is that I would never want to put on any weight again... I knew before that I was out of shape and I felt like I had lost my identity because until I started drinking heavily I had always been in shape and always active.

All of my friends and relatives have been very supportive and they are all so happy that I've changed my life around. But, every day now my girlfriend is telling me to have a takeaway with her or to go to the shop and buy a couple of bars of chocolate. She's causing arguments and telling me that I look like a beanpole and other nasty comments about my appearance.

Please help me.

Thank you. :)

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome. It sounds to be like your girlfriend feels insecure that you are slimmer then she is. She is not being supportive of your healthier lifestyle. It is cruel of her to make mean comments.

P

Purpleplum

Ignore other people...people like to judge.

Btw, you don't sound like you have an ED to me.