• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Do I have an eating disorder or am I just greedy?

R

Raindrops1999

Hi everyone,

I suffer from OCD, anxiety, depression, Asperger’s and a possible binge eating disorder.

I am considered morbidly obese, I weigh over 300 pounds (To be exact, I’m 22 stone 5 pounds). I think I may suffer from BED (binge eating disorder). I experience all the symptoms of BED.

My weight has increased over the last 4 years. I have gained about 100 lbs in 3 years.

I emotional eat like mad. I use food as a way to deal with difficult emotions as I don’t know how else to manage them. The food they binge on is typically unhealthy, such as crisps, cake and chocolate, for example.

I eat alone and won’t eat in public unless it’s a salad or something healthy because I worry about people judging me and taking the mick out of me.

I eat extremely quickly.

I eat when I’m not even hungry, I know a lot of us snack from time to time, but I eat a lot in small periods of times.

I feel like I’m not in control of my own brain when it comes to food. I feel like something is controlling me.

I have extreme low self-esteem. My OCD thoughts and images and low self-esteem makes me feel like eating because I don’t know how to cope.

I have been to the doctor’s numerous times about this and they just don’t want to do anything for me. I am currently seeing a dietitian and she said: “you need to get motivated.” But how can I when I feel all these things?

I come from the UK and the help is really bad here.

I've looked at Priory Hospital and they do treat BED, but they charge £7,000 a week to stay as an inpatient there.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there and :welcome: raindrops. Can I ask if your on medication because a lot of medications cause eating problems. I put on 3 stone with one tablet I was given,. Do you have a pdoc or a CPN cos binge eating can be a symptom of past trauma. It may be worth while having a chat with them.

R

Raindrops1999

Hello daffy! Thank you for commenting on my thread.

I am on 60mg of Prozac and 5mg of Aripiprazole.

May I ask what PDOC and CPN mean? I've never heard of those terms.

I next see my doctor in March (the waiting times are absolutely ridiculous in the UK)

I just want help and no one seems to be taking me seriously. :(

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sorry for the abbreviations. PDOC is psychiatric doctor. CPN is community psychiatric nurse, you will also see SW for social worker or support worker.both those tablets can cause weight gain. I suggest you look them up. Did you have the weight problem before you started them. It is ridiculous that you have to wait for so long for help. I’m pretty lucky that I have a CPN that I can phone and chat to if I have a problem.

R

Raindrops1999

Sorry for the abbreviations. PDOC is psychiatric doctor. CPN is community psychiatric nurse, you will also see SW for social worker or support worker.both those tablets can cause weight gain. I suggest you look them up. Did you have the weight problem before you started them. It is ridiculous that you have to wait for so long for help. I’m pretty lucky that I have a CPN that I can phone and chat to if I have a problem.
That's OK! It's easier to abbreviated things.

I was on Prozac since I was 8-9 years old, but it wasn't until I was 13 until the weight started piling on.

I was put on Aripiprazole when I was 17 years old and since then I have gained a lot of weight.

The thing is though, I can't be without Prozac because my OCD becomes so bad when I'm on a lower dosage or none at all. I must stay on these tablets if not I become borderline psychotic. I think things that aren't even true. I know I'm not psychotic now, but without medication, I am somewhat psychotic.

I'm not sure there's a community psychiatric nurse where I live? How would I find out if there was one? I'd really like to talk to on ASAP.