• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

do i have a problem or am i just a lazy teen

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
hi just thaught id see what people think, for quite a while i have felt fairly unhappy the past year it has been alot worse though and its gotten to the point were i have little to no motovation and just thaught of sitting my exams at the end of may makes me feel increasingly suicidle. I have 2 days to do 4peices of coursework and if theyre not handid in that means no GCSEs for me (had to drop most of them bescause of ilness) im at home pretty much all the time and all i can think about is how im going to do it and i just cant concentrate enough to do the work.

hope this made sense :s

Thanks

Sleepflower

Sleepflower

Founding Member
Hi Gingerbear,

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Have you spoken to a doctor about how you feel? If you've been unhappy for around a year, then I'd certainly advise that you see your GP to see what they say.

I can empathise with your coursework situation: sometimes it's too much to even think about and even opening the book or picking up a pen is too hard, isn't it? Do you have anybody close - family, friend, teacher, etc that you can talk to about this? Perhaps print what you've just posted, shove it in their hand and leave the room if you have to (!) as you OP speaks really clearly.

Hope this is helpful.
x

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
well i used to have people id talk to alot but i have become quite secluded my main means of contacting people is via MSN but that isnt quite the same as talking to them at school etc. Just before i fell ill in september i was very close to doing it but we used to get bag checks at school... that was fun trying to explain why there was loads of pills in my bag. also OP=? sorry im not down with the lingo hehe

Thanks

ps. yeh i just cant cope with the coursework atm

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hi there ginger and :welcome: to the forum

For starters, teens are allowed to be lazy in my book. All those hormones racing around make you very tired for starters let alone the mood swings they can induce. When you add to that the vast pressure of GCSE's it's no wonder you are feeling low.

And I haven't yet taken into account anything from your own personal situation i.e family background etc.

So, are you getting any help at school? I mean, any support because of how you are feeling? And what of your parents? Have you talked to them?

My personal opinion about GCSE's, and remember this is only my opinion, is that if you can't make them this year, do them next year. There is far too much importance placed on these bits of paper and whilst they do say something about the person they belonged to and do allow you to move on to higher education, it's not the end of the world if things go wrong.

Can you negotiate these four pieces of work?

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
it sounds alot better when you put it like that. my options are to forget about it and waste my future as my parents put it or just shut up and do it.

uhh family backround my parents seem to sufer also we just lost a grandad (3weeks ago) have 1 older brother and 1 older sister and my dad was called up for iraq and golf wars yet both times the company he works for appealed for him to stay much against his wishes (there isnt alot to know really) just things at home are quite stressfull at the mo

i am currently recieving help from no one (proffesionaly) i would go to the docters but sort of waiting for a friend to come with me
thanks

Last edited:
Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
it sounds alot better when you put it like that. my options are to forget about it and waste my future as my parents put it or just shut up and do it.

uhh family backround my parents seem to sufer also we just lost a grandad (3weeks ago) have 1 older brother and 1 older sister and my dad was called up for iraq and golf wars yet both times the company he works for appealed for him to stay much against his wishes (there isnt alot to know really) just things at home are quite stressfull at the mo
Those options are the extremes ginger. It you don't get your GCSEs it doesn't mean you are wasting your future. There are plenty of successful people in this world who didn't get qualifications. And if you do really well it doesn't mean instant success.

And what is success? Is the wealthy billionaire sitting in his mansion, surrounded with beautiful things and yes people, anymore happy than someone who lives in a shack on a beach?

That poor chief-of police who was found on Snowdonia last week had a very successful job, for example.

Emotional happiness has nothing to do with material success.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member

Re: your dad. Is he in the TA?

Also, have you talked with your parents in detail bout how you are feeling?

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
Yeh my dads TA, as to speaking to them about how i feel ive tried but i dont think they understood what i was saying (probably my fault) and that took me many months to gain the courage to talk to them but it seemed a waste of time

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
are you off school unwell just now?

if not can you make an appointment to speak to someone from the guidance team or pupil support as i feel that your school should be able to offer you support. Taking medication with you to school should not be made public and random bag checks are not helping you.

Please think about postponing your exams rather that just giving up

take care

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
yeh i am currently still off school having various tests etc. yeh maybe i should prospone the exams

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Yeh my dads TA, as to speaking to them about how i feel ive tried but i dont think they understood what i was saying (probably my fault) and that took me many months to gain the courage to talk to them but it seemed a waste of time
Ok, well tell your dad from me I'm very proud of him and if his company need him that much he should be very proud of himself too. I love the British Army, TA included, and very proud of every one of them, but I personally wish every single one in Afghanistan and Iraq would come home safe now, today. I believe our soldiers have a much greater contribution to make in 'defence' than invasion. My OH was in TA for 11 years and was involved in miner's strikes, digging sheep out of snow and weapon's instructing at home for the Falklands War. I for one am extremely grateful that his contribution was constructive and am very proud of him.

As for talking with your parents, I understand. That thousand mile wide gap between parent and teen is a hard one to breach, especially when it seems there is a lot of stress going on. All I can say is don't give up. Keep trying. it may help to write a letter to them rather than trying to talk to them. It's difficult for me to advise as I don't know your parents but I always believe that 'talking' is the only way to solve problems.

If all else fails there are people here who will listen and discuss with you ;)

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
ok i will thanks :) hes in the intellegence bit i think alot of my problems are worsend during the day because im basicly alone and my friends being so busy with there gsces its hard to get help

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
ok i will thanks :) hes in the intellegence bit i think alot of my problems are worsend during the day because im basicly alone and my friends being so busy with there gsces its hard to get help
yes and when u r alone a lot u tend to brood over things which makes things seem much worse at times. There is no doubt u r under pressure and your family are grieving so lots of stress. Try to get some fresh air every day and make sure u eat right because if u allow yourself to sit around too much you will feel more tired and more demotivated.

Also, it helps to research your condition I think. It sounds to me like you are suffering from anxiety and depression and there is a lot of useful info on the net to help with these conditions. And come here, chat with us, there are a lot of experienced people here :hug:

gingerbear

gingerbear

Founding Member
ok i will thanks for help, advice and replying :)