• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Do I have a mental health problem?

J

Jisatsu

Hello, I have been on this site for a few months now and I've decided to ask anyone their opinion on what I have (please don't offence, I do not take any form of mental illness lightly).

My dad suffers from depression (that's all he'll tell me) whether it's anything else, I don't know. He just tells me his medication helps him be happier and calms him so he is able to make decisions. My mum also suffers from depression as I have heard her talking about it but whether or not it's diagnosed, I don't know. My parents split up when I was 4 and I have since lived with my mum and step-dad.
From age 8 I have self harmed and then at 12 I was taken to the doctor about it and then referred to a "mental health clinic" as he put it. I declined the help they offered and have been hiding my feelings now for almost 5 years.

This is what I deal with regularly:
I have weeks of feeling so down I constantly cry, lie in bed until 2pm and do no school work - if I do any it is of a poor standard. I am not interested in the normal things I love and I hate talking to people. I also go through phases where I will be extremely (if not overly) excitable and I will laugh continuously and over-enthusiastically until I just break down into tears. I feel both happy and sad at the same time. I have an increased sex drive at the same time as wanting to harm myself.

Sorry for the very long post, I will appreciate any replies (if I will get any).

J

Jisatsu

EDIT:

I would like to add that I have not been to the GP about any of my problems.. as of yet.

W

whatstheproblem?

I know this has been discussed in your previous threads/posts, but you really do need to speak to a dr about all this. As much as people here can offer you support, we can't give you any diagnosis.. At some point you will have to face up to things and see a dr. It's hard, but it needs to be done. xx

J

Jisatsu

Thank you for the reply.. I'm really trying to pluck up the courage to make an appointment. But, as I don't want my parents to know I'm having to try and plan the route I want to take to get to my GP.

I'm finding it hard to face the fact that I need help :(

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I went to see a vicar about my condition, he told me to talk to a psychiatrist, I listened; worst mistake I ever made.

With 6 billion people on the planet, there's many to seek support from, and I'd honestly try all avenues before psychiatrists.

R

rasselas

I went to see a vicar about my condition, he told me to talk to a psychiatrist, I listened; worst mistake I ever made.

With 6 billion people on the planet, there's many to seek support from, and I'd honestly try all avenues before psychiatrists.
I agree. If I could turn back the clock I'd have exhautsed all other possibilities before going to my GP. They diagnosed me with schizoprenia. It took 10 years to have that error rectified. That's 10 years of being told I lacked insight if I challenged the diagnosis... I'm not suggesting you will meet with similar bad luck. But once you're done, it's not so easy to be undone. :)

J

Jisatsu

I don't want to get there and just be given a quick "diagnosis" and be put on some pills.. I've heard they often prescribe pills very readily and expect it to solve all problems.

I've also heard that doctors have prescribed antidepressants to patients they think have depression and it turns out they have bipolarism and due to the antidepressants their condition has been worsened.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
If there is any psychological aspect to your illness, you might try working on that with a counsellor/therapist before someone with a biological slant gets you in their mittens?

X

xxxmetal-chickxxx

i agree =D talking to a theripist or somthing would be good... =D You dont HAVE to take antidepressants. im not saying dont accept them im saying if u wanted to not take them then ask for someone to see instead..

talk to me anytime you like. you know where the pm button is =D

dib4uk

dib4uk

I agree with the posters here, go see and speak to your doctor and see what he or she has to say. Remember not everyone is put on anti depressants, some opt for therapy, but some opt for both therapy and medication.

S

Sarey

In my opinion they are not that willing to slap a diagnosis on you & give you pills in the UK, more so if you're under 18, more likely to either send you off with NOTHING, are shit & very insensitive, are judgmental & discriminative, are patronizing, or, they'll be compassionate & nice & caring & they'll give you therapy & try their hardest with you.

All about trying it out first though, don't know unless you try.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jisatsu

Now I'm even more worried :(

S

Sarey

Don't be.
These are just my experiences in my area, but I've heard many others have good professionals.
I've been seeing professionals since I was 7, and a lot of them to me have been awful.
Only 1 has been alright, but she left.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Now I'm even more worried :(
Don't be it might be counterproductive, the less you want a diagnosis, the more likely you are to get one :scared:

J

Jisatsu

I just want to stop feeling like this. Like I don't want to be here anymore and that I want to hurt myself :(